I O U Hearth.Com Members !!!! Hamption I1300 Install with pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsh

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2008
OH
First, I want to thank the members of this forum for a significant amount of knowledge I have gained. With this knowledge, I may have saved a catsorphy from happening.
Now for the details. This is being published in detail to possibly help other if they run into the same situation as I did.

Ordered a Hampton insert from a local patio and hearth retailer. At $350 for installation, I decided to have them do it. After questing the salesmen on what type of liner/insulation they were going to use, insulation was not part of the liner I was told. I then questioned the qualifications of the installing contractor; has been doing it for 22 years. Felling a littler uneasy about the liner but felt a little better about the installation crew that would be doing the work. While waiting for the Hampton to arrive, I installed the 6" liner myself, made an insulated block off plate but was concerned if their was enough room in my fire box for the insert.

To make sure installation would go without a hitch, I requested from the vendor someone to come out to make sure everything was OK. A gentlemen arrived and took some measurements but again I did not feel the warm fuzzys.

[Now the ugly part] Contractor arrive to install the insert. Began complaining about the SS liner how it would not connect to the insert. I proceeded to tell him how to do it being politically correct not to offend him. He then decided he needed an adapter to make the connection. Arriving back from his shopping at Lowes, he walked up the driveway with a piece of aluminum flexible 4" dryer duct and a galvanized aluminum 6" x 4" reducer. I began to break-out in a cold sweet and realized i have to get them out! I convinced him that is not the solution. After further suggestions from me they got the unit in and were proud of their installation. Without seeing a drop of calk, sealant, etc used, I realized I was installing an insert rather than picking up another 1.5 cords of wood.

When they finally left, I was left with:
+door rubbed on cast iron frame
+1.5" gap between the side castings and the brick wall
+Not a drop of high temp calk used
+mantle piece was pitched to the back of the insert (not installed correctly)
+ liner not secured to insert (could see light shining through a gap when a flash light was used
+Liner 12" from the top of my flue not connected to the stainless rain cap.
** Said i could lite my first fire that evening (not a chance in *&#$)

With the hep of my son, I removed virtually everything and installed the insert myself...making the correction's to all of the above items. By the way, this is the first contractor I have had do this type of work except pour concrete. I am a DIYer.

What worries me the most is that these guys have probably cut corners on other installations which we may see as a statistic of home fires.

NOT MINE! Again, that you all to your words of wisdom. You probably saved me and my family some serious trouble down the road or even worse.

Attachments

• I O U Hearth.Com Members !!!! Hamption I1300 Install with pic
    hampton1300c.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 367
Looks amazing! Sorry to hear you had to go back and do everything right. You probalby learned a ton about your new setup and will be able to use this in the future. What part of Oh. are you in?

Vandalia, OH.
Feels great too. Have her cranked up to 550 but keeping is slow with the initial fire

Marsh said:
Vandalia, OH.
Feels great too. Have her cranked up to 550 but keeping is slow with the initial fire

this must be common among those in the 'biz'
the guys who installed my insert(zero clearance so i hope that means there are less possibilities of f****** up than with a real stove, had to read the manual while installing it, and i saw them scratch their heads a number of times wondering what the heck it was asking them to do..
really made me concerned about the safety of my new fireplace.
i assume since i have been burning for almost a month i should be ok?

Agree. However, I have spoke with numerous fireplace shops that seem to know their business and product. Just glad I was an informed user and glad I was watching them. Well, if their is a problem, plenty of informed people on this site.

Very nice insert.

I am one who didn't know about this forum when I had our first insert installed.....I too trusted and shouldn't have.

Had insert and most of the liner replaced 2 years later. I had found this forum by then and second install was done correctly and new insert was the right size for our needs. An expensive lesson.

Sharp looking stove . . . fits in well with the black mantel.

Status
Not open for further replies.