I overfired my stove - now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
I did a regular old reload today nothing fancy and the load wasn’t too big. Unfortunately I walked away with air open and the fan off and forgot about it - darn work from home snow days... I smelled the curing paint smell everyone talks about with a new stove. Not too strong but strong enough to make me remember the insert

I turned the air down and the fan on high. I took a temp with the IR gun and noticed some light glowing around the collar.

The fire reacted well to turning down the air and got under control pretty easy I did crack the door and then a quick open and close. The glowing went away in a minute or two.

Since then the fires been perfectly normal.

So obviously glowing is bad. And I’ll let the stove go cold and check it tomorrow. I can poke my head in and check the first few feet of the liner from inside. Chimney is too high to check from the top. Taking the surround off is a pain but I think I should do that as well.

Anything else that I should look at? Obviously cracks and holes are an easy indication of bad things. Anything else that may not be obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, what temps were you seeing with IR gun?

Out of curiosity, what temps were you seeing with IR gun?

My gun goes up to 800 and after that it just says “Hi”. I was getting 700 or so near the front where the air exhausts. The Hi started midway between the front of the stove and the flue collar.

Last edited:
Here’s the inside of the liner. I don’t have a before and after but I’m a little concerned about the bottom right section in the pic. It seems a little buckled....

I overfired my stove - now what?

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of stove? I believe those 6" SS liners are tested up to 2100*F if remember correctly and are designed to be able to withstand a chimney fire and continue service afterwards. I have a napoleon 1402 and I've been a hair over 950*F stove top and have found no damage from it. Ive also had a handful of over 700*F stove tops as well and it seems just fine. I wouldn't be worried if I was in your shoe's whatsoever.

What type of stove? I believe those 6" SS liners are tested up to 2100*F if remember correctly and are designed to be able to withstand a chimney fire and continue service afterwards. I have a napoleon 1402 and I've been a hair over 950*F stove top and have found no damage from it. Ive also had a handful of over 700*F stove tops as well and it seems just fine. I wouldn't be worried if I was in your shoe's whatsoever.

Thanks. It’s an Enviro Boston 1700 insert. It tends to run hot - normal peaks are around 700. I have a pretty strong draft - 32 foot liner pretty much straight up.

I haven’t worried too much about anything in the past - this is the first time I’ve seen a glow.

The Boston is a strong and well made stove. It probably has survived this error. You are not the only one to space out turning down the air control. From now on use a kitchen timer or your cell phone timer to remind you to check the fire in 5 or 10 minutes. Or stay close to the insert until the air has been turned down. It's too easy to get distracted!

In the shot up the flue collar it looks like the install was done with self-tapping screws, two of which appear to be under the liner and not through it. It looks like the liner needed to go down in the flue collar another half inch or the screws need to be 1/2" higher. The righthand side pucker appears to be from the screw penetrating the liner. That looks to be easy to straighten with a couple taps.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdust
I don't see anything in that picture that would overly concern me. Everyone, even on here, who burns wood has or will eventually overfire the stove. At least once.

Another vote for it probably being ok. Just a good wake up call! Good thing with the newer units is that many are tested running air full open for extended periods of time and large loads of wood, etc. It goes along with trying to protect everybody from themselves these days (good thing when it comes to things like this).

I have the same stove. My wife did exactly what you did. the IR gun registered over 1000 degrees. She can't recall what the actual number was. It reads up to 1200 degrees, but it's probably not accurate at that temp. Still, it was definitely super hot. No visual damage or impact to stove performance so far.

We do the kitchen timer method, but I think she had just forgotten to set it. It happens, when you have two kids under 2.

It happens, when you have two kids under 2.
It happens when you get over 60 too. ;em Train everyone in the house to be mindful of the stove and flue temps. If this becomes a frequent issue consider getting a high temp alarm for the stove.

Last edited:
It happens when you get over 60 too. Train everyone in the house to be mindful of the stove and flue temps. If this becomes a frequent issue consider getting a high temp alarm for the stove.

Ironically I’ve been thinking of getting a remote thermometer. More so because I’ve been trying to slowly teach the kids how to tend to the fire. I don’t love the idea of the rest of the family bending down and over the hot fire to aim the IR gun.

This looks reasonable. Anyone use one of these or have a recommendation.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292

Last edited by a moderator:
@Squisher has an Auber alarm. Also, search on Auber. There are several threads discussing the pros and cons and options.

Last edited:
Train everyone in the house to be mindful of the stove and flue temps. If this becomes a frequent issue consider getting a high temp alarm for the stove.

Absolutely - my wife is normally better about keeping the stove in the right temperature bands than I am. Just happened to forget that day. I would like to get a high temp alarm eventually.

I have an auber as well. With my basement install i wouldnt want it any other way

I overfired my stove once. Ironically, I had just read a few threads on what to do in that situation the day before. Glad I was wearing brown pants that day. ;) ;)
I was worried about damage but there was not any. Caught it in time and haven't repeated it since.
Looks like you will be fine.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk