I really didn't mean to cure paint tonight....but I did.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
OK, in brief. Cleaned the stove. Two splits N/S, cedar shake in the middle. Lit it off, waited 1/2 hour, added 2 more E/W. All the temp. guages looked fine-(top, cat., and flue). Closed bypass, nothing out of the normal, T-stat @ 2.5 by this time. Wife say's"Let's trim the cat's claws!"- OK- 1/2 hour later, I smell something. Check stove, top barely 500, BUT- Cat is N of 2200 on the gauge, flue is 1100 and climbing. Smoke off of upper connectors( dbl. 45's), and the temp. is still going up. I closed the T-stat, opened the T-stat, opened the door , bypass open, bypass closed, door closed, almost any combo you could imagine. Cat. maxed @ about 2200, flue @ 1410. All good now, but that was strange- in a bad way. Now the kicker- in that time frame, outside temps. dropped almost 7 °F , and 1/2" of snow fell. Still snowing right now. Happened quick, so could that be a contributing factior? I need to blame this on something, 'cause I need to excuse the huge wad of Kleenex I have stuffed in my butt right now. (nevermind the totaled BVD's). :-S

Yeah, a change in weather that comes that fast will come with goofy baro pressures too. Could have been a contributor.

Prolly the weather or just one of those freaky things that happen once in awhile, but I'd keep a close eye on the stove for awhile just in case.

I think it was cat envy...see, you're messing with the furry cat and the stove cat got HOT about it.

Well, it was something. Could you tell it freaked meow(t)? Watching that flue temp. climb like that wasn't my idea of a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.