I sacrificed a HH for my best friend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SawdustSA

Burning Hunk
Apr 1, 2014
Eastern Cape, South Africa
My Staffordshire terrier, and I, have a problem with the neighbor's dog who is peaking over the boundary wall due to lack of exercise by his owner. This jumping up against the wall annoys my dog and he then tries to get at the other dog. The result is that he has now hurt himself and has nerve damage affecting his jaw muscles. Fortunately only on one side of his head for now, so he can still eat.

In order to stop this I had to raise this section of the wall so that they cannot see each other. The easiest and cheapest way was to break down a holzhausen and stack the wood up against the wall.

At least now I know that each HH holds exactly one cord of wood.

Attachments

• 20150406_152432.jpg
    20150406_152432.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 20150406_171156.jpg
    20150406_171156.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: Gboutdoors
Sorry about your dog. Those HHs of yours look nice. I wouldn't have thought each one is a cord-efficient.

What size were those one-cord HHs?

The base is 6.5 feet (2 meters) and they are around the same in height. Some are more fat than others. My stove limits the length of the splits to around 12 inches so single row stacking does not work so well. At least with this "wall" I could anchor it to the boundary wall, so it is very stable.

The wall measures 20x6.5 feet with the average split of around 12-13 inches. This gives me around 127 cu ft.

A holz hausen 6.5 feet in diameter and 6.5 feet high occupies 215 cubic feet of space (if it is a cylinder). That is a lot more than the 127 cubic feet of stack you made out of it. Any idea why the difference exists? I have Holz hausen that I think are about 2.5 cords each, but now I am unsure. I don't plan to restack to find out.

My HH is not a perfect cylinder. It tapers towards the top to make it more stable. My 1st one had more vertical sides but then became unstable and collapsed partially. Could be because my splits are shorter than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.