I split all my wood with this, am I a madman?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hanker

Dec 21, 2022
Northern California
I put about 1-2 cords of hardwood (almond) through this kindling cracker XL a year for my winter fires. I get the wood for free (family has an almond ranch) and split nearly all of it. I had the smaller one before, I was still able to put big logs through it but they would often get jammed and stuck. I use a 6lb hand sledge.

FmoptO1aYAQXNpR

I have never had opportunity to split, season, or smoke meat on almond wood.

The only things I can think of would be to open some of your 4" rounds in a year or so to check MC, and try adding some scrap to charcoal with everything you grill to see what comes out good.

Honestly I am drooling, that would probably do great with flat fish like halibut or flounder, but burn what you got for sure.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I would suggest you pick up a "dead blow" hammer at Harbor Freight (or equivalent). The head is full of lead shot and transfers more energy into the log.

I got a small one. I find that a 3 pound hammer is harder on my single hand than a 3-4# axe in both. If everything you split fit in it’s probably just as fast.

If you are going to split by hand get a splitting maul. That is what I use. No worrying about a log fitting in.

I got a small one. I find that a 3 pound hammer is harder on my single hand than a 3-4# axe in both. If everything you split fit in it’s probably just as fast.
'I got a small one' is not something you expect to come out of a man's mouth.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
I like my splitter.. For the amount of wood we go through its the only way to go.. Its easier on the body.. and still get plenty of exercise.. You also get to split out the heart wood and split square and rectangle to fill the box to the max

I like my splitter.. For the amount of wood we go through its the only way to go.. Its easier on the body.. and still get plenty of exercise.. You also get to split out the heart wood and split square and rectangle to fill the box to the max
Would love to have/get one. Unfortunately the wife does not see that as a priority at the moment.

If you are looking for a cheap upgrade for splitting a tire on a stump and a fiskars x25 or the longer x27 at 36” do wonders on hard wood.

Reactions: Vg3200p
split out the heart wood and split square and rectangle to fill the box to the max
👍
I put about 1-2 cords of hardwood (almond) through this kindling cracker XL a year... I get the wood for free (family has an almond ranch) and split nearly all of it.
Seems like using that would be a lot more messing around than just splitting with a maul like I do. If I'm hand-splitting, I set rounds on a short "chopping block" cut from a large, gnarly crotch round to about 8"...just tall enough to keep the maul from burying in the ground, but low enough to get a full arc swing with the maul.
A lot of that smaller stuff in the pic, I probably wouldn't split if it was dead/dry already. If you have a faster-burning tube stove, bigger splits keep the stove burning slower. I can put smaller stuff in my cat stove, and cut the air low so that it still gets a slow burn, but I mostly burn bigger splits. I make some smaller ones as I go, to use for starting a cold stove or filling in the box around the bigger splits.

I saw the design a few years ago but was shocked at the sticker price, so I built two of these outta my scrap pile. One for myself, one for my best friend. Personally I hate the top "ring" for kindling and cut mine off and designed the second one not to have one at all.

They work great for kindling. I split 1/3 of a face cord of pine slab into kindling on mine this year. I use a rubber mallet, but am going to switch eventually to a wooden hammer once I build it. Taken a few chunks outta the mallet in follow through, but with the ring, couldn't get enough force or had to use longer chunks than I wanted.

I can't imagine doing real wood on one, or at least on mine, but it looks like it's working out well for ya.

I have the original Kindling Cracker XL from Northern tool. Well worth the money ($119 )and a quality forged tool made in Australia. Not the Amazon Chinese knockoff. It is not just for kindling. It can handle a 9” log and can spilt it in half with ease. Ring is great holding the log in. Much easier than using my maul and much safer than a hatchet when making kindling. I use a long handle 4lb drilling hammer for better leverage. I also use the Estwing Fireside friend mini maul to make quick kindling.

I also use the Estwing Fireside friend mini maul to make quick kindling.
I've got one as well. Nice addition to the whacking tool lineup. But now I'm looking for nice, straight fallen, dead branches that I can snap to length by stepping on 'em. Red Elm is nice and straight, and fit in a small box without snagging when you pull 'em out.

I wondered if those things even worked. Good to know that it appears they do. But, yes, you are definitely a madman for having a stash of almond wood.
These kindling crackers are awesome and work well. I bought one last year for making kindling. Wish I bought one sooner. I paid about about 100 bucks for it and it is solid. So don't cheap out on a cheap one. I use a 3lb mini maul and I bolted the cracker to a hickory round.

Reactions: Stove Cricket
To the OP I really can't see myself splitting much wood with that setup but if it works for you go for it.
For kindling I can't be bothered working up kindling. Plenty of places throwing away scraps at cabinet shops and pallet manufacturers, etc. good kild dried small wood without the work.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I wouldn't say you're a madman. But splitting almond with that could mean you're nuts.😉

• Haha
If you are looking for a cheap upgrade for splitting a tire on a stump and a fiskars x25 or the longer x27 at 36” do wonders on hard wood.
This is want I do. I use the 36" and the wife uses the 28" Fiskars. We split about 4 cords a year this way. When we have more $ available I intend to buy a splitter but for now this method works well.

If you're under the gun renting a splitter for a day is a good option too. Around here it's $100 for 24 hours. With a couple good people you can get through a lot in a day. We did this last year when I was injured.

It’s great to have the wives take part in the process. My wife will bring in splits and knows how to do a cold start. She also made some kindling with the cracker this past Fall. It was actually her idea to get our stove since she was driving by houses with class A stainless chimneys. It was also her idea to get our Fujitsu mini split 🤔

I have a kindling ctacker xl as well. I use it only for kindling. It works great and I love it. Need a file to sharpen it now though.

My son got me one of these several years ago and my initial thought was "Great, another gadget". I normally find the old tried-and-true methods the best. But I'm sold on this thing and wouldn't want to be without it. Remember, it's called a kindling cracker (at least the size I have). It's for splitting kindling quickly, not splitting firewood. If you are splitting pieces that barely fit through the opening you are using it wrong. I use a maul or my wood splitter to break down rounds to a reasonable size, then go to work on those pieces with this device and a hand maul. The main advantage is you do not waste time and patience trying to prop up the wood you are splitting as you'd do with a hatchet or hand maul. You also don't have to curse as you constantly miss the middle of the piece as you swing a blade at it. You can try to impress me with boasts of your eagle-eye, but you will not consistently split a piece of wood in half as accurately as you will with this. Traditional splitting gets harder as the pieces get smaller. With this you simply place the center of the wood on the blade and give a good swing with the hand sledge or back of your hand maul. Pick up the smaller pieces and repeat until desired size is reached. I fill a milk crate with kindling in less than ten minutes, depending how knotty the wood is. Any piece that gives you trouble due to knots or grain will have done so even worse if you had went at them with a hatchet or small maul.

Reactions: Wildflush
I had some larger splits that were 7-8”. The XL cracker split them in half with ease. No need for my maul. It does not need to be sharpened often. If so a few passes with a medium file.I like various split sizes so the cracker lets me split a little larger than kindling if need be.

Last edited: