I take it this is the dreaded elm...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
So I don't think I've really had the honor of splitting much elm yet. I've happened into a nice score of trees a tree company has cut down close by, and have taken a few truckloads so far. This last load was mostly all what I am guessing is elm.

elm.jpg

I've already split a bunch of it... even the small 4-6" rounds slow the 22T splitter right down. But so far nothing has stopped it, its pushed on through even the biggest pieces, crotches and knots, though it takes a bit of work and usually some hacking with the hatchet to cut the remaining strands holding together. if I was still splitting by hand exclusively, I think I'd just leave this be except for the small rounds that don't need split! Wow this stuff can be crazy.

elm3.jpg elm4.jpg elm5.jpg

Most of the pieces have a dark core, and a somewhat sweet smell.

And lots of interweaving fibers. I have a couple pails full of tinder & kindling from one load of this!

elm1.jpg elm2.jpg

To minimize fuss I've decided I'm leaving the rounds smaller than 6" whole, and the rest splitting into pretty big chunks, only small enough to fit the stove. They'll like have a good 2-3 years to season. I might be starting on season 4 but its hard to guess.

So is this elm?

On the plus side I've got some nice cherry and ash in other loads, and also my first time cutting osage orange. Looking forward to seeing what the Ideal Steal can do with a full load of osage!

Reactions: JimBear
So I don't think I've really had the honor of splitting much elm yet. I've happened into a nice score of trees a tree company has cut down close by, and have taken a few truckloads so far. This last load was mostly all what I am guessing is elm.

View attachment 225234

I've already split a bunch of it... even the small 4-6" rounds slow the 22T splitter right down. But so far nothing has stopped it, its pushed on through even the biggest pieces, crotches and knots, though it takes a bit of work and usually some hacking with the hatchet to cut the remaining strands holding together. if I was still splitting by hand exclusively, I think I'd just leave this be except for the small rounds that don't need split! Wow this stuff can be crazy.

View attachment 225237 View attachment 225238 View attachment 225239

Most of the pieces have a dark core, and a somewhat sweet smell.

And lots of interweaving fibers. I have a couple pails full of tinder & kindling from one load of this!

View attachment 225235 View attachment 225236

To minimize fuss I've decided I'm leaving the rounds smaller than 6" whole, and the rest splitting into pretty big chunks, only small enough to fit the stove. They'll like have a good 2-3 years to season. I might be starting on season 4 but its hard to guess.

So is this elm?

On the plus side I've got some nice cherry and ash in other loads, and also my first time cutting osage orange. Looking forward to seeing what the Ideal Steal can do with a full load of osage!
It must be Elm. We have quite a bit of it up here. That’s the only wood that I have to keep my little Fiskars hatchet handy to finish the splits like you said. I’ve had some that my 22 ton couldn’t handle but this last Black Friday I picked up a 37 ton splitter and I have a big Elm to cut down just outside my front door that has died so I’ll out it to the test soon. After all of our snow melts in a month or so.... I took this photo today. The tree to the left by the switch post is a Elm.

3176609D-940D-4FB8-96D5-36B47269A213.jpeg

Reactions: OhioBurner©
I like elm, growing up we didn't have a splitter, we would wait for the 0 degree days to split the tough ones. These days I don't split any elm smaller than 10". That's what will fit into my stove. Elm rounds dry really good, 1 10" X 22" round equals 9-10 hours of heat and big chunky coals in the morning. Any rounds that your not splitting try to get bark off for faster drying.

Yup, American(Grey) Elm

I like elm. It keeps a lot of people warm! It’s a reliable source of dry dead wood and I love how the stringy bits help light off a new load. Splits pretty well when it’s really dry or cold enough but I’ve also ended up with some splits that look like a huge hairball.

These days I don't split any elm smaller than 10". That's what will fit into my stove.
And I thought 6" or so unsplit was a pretty big round to leave whole, maybe I should let a few larger ones go! A good majority of my pieces were 10" or less. But yep I'm set on small kindling for the next few years.

And I thought 6" or so unsplit was a pretty big round to leave whole, maybe I should let a few larger ones go! A good majority of my pieces were 10" or less. But yep I'm set on small kindling for the next few years.

When I was laid off from work a few years ago and was PO’d I split some good size elm rounds with sledge and wedge. They had been bucked for about a year and it was cold out. When it was first cut I processed a few rounds by cutting into 4”-5” disks and spitting the disks into crescents. Those dried in one summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see putting a big round of elm in the dead of winter up here when the stove has a good bed of hot coals to light it off good. Years ago I tried putting a big knarly piece of wood in my stove when it was piping hot with coals.. half of it went in and then it jammed so smarty me decided to give it a kick to try and get it in but that just jammed it tight in the opening lol.... so now it’s starting to burn in the stove and I’m trying to get it unstuck and out which I did, smoke, fire and all. I got it out and out the door and I threw it in the snow. Then the smoke detectors went off and the dogs went nuts lol.... just another day up here in frozenville. I had 3 above zero this morning....and it’s April.

Last edited:
Warmer in Leroy( apx 20 miles S x SE of Fond Du Lac) about 16 when I got up. Wind was still huffing perrty good so feels colder.
If you buck the Elm up and set it aside until the bark lets loose splits easier in my experience, but then my splitter has a narrow wedge with a spreader behind it, acts more like a knife than just plain bulling it apart. Seldom need a hatchet. I have about a1/2 dozen 36" x36" rounds to buck and split yet from about a year ago.

Last edited:
C0051860-E563-4105-99C5-DA904E7C4C59.jpeg
It doesn’t take long for the bark to come off of Elm. Someone on the forums had posted this photo of Elm years ago and I saved it. He was a long time member. Maybe he will chime in here.

Reactions: Jags and JimBear
Yep to all the above. I've burned a lot to f Amrican Elm and has done very well. Nearly all the Elm in these parts has succumbed to DED. Once dead the bark sloughs off almost immediately and starts air drying right away. After a few years standing dead it needs very little further drying if any. Splits a lot easier after it's been standing dead awhile. I put the burning quality next to some oaks. Kevin

Reactions: Slocum
I have been close to having a log stuck in door. I measure twice before I put in all nighter stack. I also carry rounds in and set beside stove for 2 or 3 days before I burn. They are hard to beat in my opinion

Attachments

• IMG_7356.JPG
    IMG_7356.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 159
We have lots and lots of dead Elm in our
fence lines . We cut and split use it for filler
to burn and sell a lot of it . The best part
about elm is when the branches and stump
rot the black/brown compost is where you
will find Morels in the spring and lots of them

Last edited:
View attachment 225253 It doesn’t take long for the bark to come off of Elm. Someone on the forums had posted this photo of Elm years ago and I saved it. He was a long time member. Maybe he will chime in here.
That would be me. That entire dang tree split just like that pic. Never seen anything like it.

Another fan of elm . . . thanks to the standing dead elm on my property I was able to get through Year One without a lot of problems . . . well that and some tree tops from a wood cutting operation.

Folks who like elm or dislike elm seem to boil down to folks who have hydraulic splitters and those who are splitting by hand.

One year my tree guy called me, and his first question was "Do you have a splitter".....told him yes, he said "Good, I got a load of Elm if you want it", said he wouldn't drop it unless I had a splitter.

Same as everyone has said. I let mine sit in a field for a year before splitting. The bark fell off and it seasoned and split more easily after that.

In NY we have a pretty wide selection of trees on almost any property. I avoid elm and prefer maple, cherry, oak and pine.

I got a lot of elm last fall in a wood delivery. Every time I bring in some splits I tear off some of those splintering parts and toss it in my kindling box. Has helped start burns all season long!

Reactions: Slocum