I think my cheapest shoulder season heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCOOPER

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2010
Stowe, Pa
comes from my heat pump...
Going to use my heat pump above 40 degrees and switch to pellets below. I have a Honeywell Vision Pro thermostat on the heat pump that will let me lock out the heat pump and electric back up at 40 degrees. I'm not sure how good it will work with just setting a deferential between the Lux and the Honeywell but I'm on a learning curve...

This is what I do with our usually mild winters here in the midwest.

The heat pump is extremely economical until the temperature falls to 35 degrees and defrost cycles degrade the economy quite a bit then.

Frequently, I run the pellet stove at night and in the morning and when the temp climbs to 38 degrees I switch back to the heat pump for the rest of the day/evening before retiring for the night.

If you use one of those fuel cost calculators you will find the heat pump is second only to natural gas in terms of economy in a mild climate area.

Status
Not open for further replies.