I think my M55 has a bottom glass seal leakage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Mornin! So I'm cleaning the glass trying to get rid of some stubborn spots on the bottom part of the glass, until I realize that it's all on the outside! (I had none of this a week ago, so this has all happened since my last weekly clean) The paint that has peeled off the bottom right part of the door frame, that happened over a year ago. The door seal is tight and the entire bottom edge and lowest part of the front of the door is clean with no ash deposits. So.....

1) I assume that either I will need to replace the glass, or If I can, get just the gasket. Or by any chance, just put in a continuous bead of an appropriate gasket cement along the length of the bottom. Your thoughts greatly appreciated,
2) I can feel the spots on the glass but neither Rutland glass cleaner or an SOS pad can remove the spots.
I am sure there is another product that will remove them but I am very confused...
Inside the box, very hot. On the outside of the glass not as hot and yet the stuff is baked on...
Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• IMG_4320.JPG
    IMG_4320.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 117
Mornin! So I'm cleaning the glass trying to get rid of some stubborn spots on the bottom part of the glass, until I realize that it's all on the outside! (I had none of this a week ago, so this has all happened since my last weekly clean) The paint that has peeled off the bottom right part of the door frame, that happened over a year ago. The door seal is tight and the entire bottom edge and lowest part of the front of the door is clean with no ash deposits. So.....

1) I assume that either I will need to replace the glass, or If I can, get just the gasket. Or by any chance, just put in a continuous bead of an appropriate gasket cement along the length of the bottom. Your thoughts greatly appreciated,
2) I can feel the spots on the glass but neither Rutland glass cleaner or an SOS pad can remove the spots.
I am sure there is another product that will remove them but I am very confused...
Inside the box, very hot. On the outside of the glass not as hot and yet the stuff is baked on...
Thanks, Bill
:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZQuick question....Can I continue to use the stove? It's friggin cold out:cool: I have replacement gasket coming hopefully Fri/Sat
Thanks, Bill

Might it be the flat "glass" gasket? I'm not certain whether you're referring to the door gasket or the thin flat gasket between the glass and metal retainer. fyi I tried the Rutland glass cleaner for the first time on my M55 a few days ago. Had some amber stuff from corn burning which I couldn't remove. Rutland is wonderful - came right off.

Reactions: bostonfan49
Might it be the flat "glass" gasket? I'm not certain whether you're referring to the door gasket or the thin flat gasket between the glass and metal retainer. fyi I tried the Rutland glass cleaner for the first time on my M55 a few days ago. Had some amber stuff from corn burning which I couldn't remove. Rutland is wonderful - came right off.
Thanks ohbix, yes, the glass gasket! I thought I was clear in my post...but me bad if not! Anyway, I want to continue to use the stove because of the cold but I just want some assurance that it is safe to do so.....
Thanks, Bill

Reactions: ASWZ71
:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZQuick question....Can I continue to use the stove? It's friggin cold out:cool: I have replacement gasket coming hopefully Fri/Sat
Thanks, Bill
:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZUpdate, the SOS pad worked, just needed more elbow grease...glass is fine, nice and clear. I decided to go for it::-) and I laid down a bead of clear high temp stove gasket segment on both the inside an outside channel edge of the door glass. I think I will let it set for about 2 hours and then fire the baby up and have the heat do the rest unless I hear from some of you folks....maybe run for 15-20 minutes to warm up and then let it cure overnight???
Hope to get some advice....TIA BILL

I am tiring to understand how your glass got dirty from the fire on the outside !
The fire box on your stove is under a vac. air being drawn through it (sucked into the stow )
combustion air is not forces in so how did the class get dirty from the fire ?
More likely dust settling on the glass go burnt on by the heat of the glass over time
I hope this makes sense to some one wo can explain it better than I can
Personally I would not change the gasket as I see no problem .

I am tiring to understand how your glass got dirty from the fire on the outside !
The fire box on your stove is under a vac. air being drawn through it (sucked into the stow )
combustion air is not forces in so how did the class get dirty from the fire ?
More likely dust settling on the glass go burnt on by the heat of the glass over time
I hope this makes sense to some one wo can explain it better than I can
Personally I would not change the gasket as I see no problem .
:ZZZThanks johneh! I agree with you, should be a slight negative pressure in the stove. What's weird is that when I clean the stove (weekly) I clean the inside glass and make it spotless. I wear glass and if I have a spec of anything on my glasses, I go nuts...so I am always cleaning them. Same with the stove glass, 1/2 way through the week, I clean the glass. The outside has always been clean...until now. But now, I finally got the crud off. It's been 3 1/2 hours since I put the cement on both channels, so I think I'm safe. I kinda like your idea...but short term. Maybe 3-4 days ago somehow??? Some ash or dust got "Electrostaticaly" stuck to the glass and then got baked on. Anywho, I'm going to fire it up in a minute and see what happens over the next few days.
Bill

:ZZZThanks johneh! I agree with you, should be a slight negative pressure in the stove. What's weird is that when I clean the stove (weekly) I clean the inside glass and make it spotless. I wear glass and if I have a spec of anything on my glasses, I go nuts...so I am always cleaning them. Same with the stove glass, 1/2 way through the week, I clean the glass. The outside has always been clean...until now. But now, I finally got the crud off. It's been 3 1/2 hours since I put the cement on both channels, so I think I'm safe. I kinda like your idea...but short term. Maybe 3-4 days ago somehow??? Some ash or dust got "Electrostaticaly" stuck to the glass and then got baked on. Anywho, I'm going to fire it up in a minute and see what happens over the next few days.
Bill
;lol;lol;lolProblem solved, me very very bad. Take a Swifter 360 duster that you brush over parts of the stove to get rid of pellet dust like when you are filling the stove with pellets and then you decide to get wacko stupido and clean off some dust on the decorative cast iron door frame and abra kadabra you have melted pieces of Swifter feathers along with the collected dust....melted onto the glass. Problem solved and I need a drink! Hopefully I passed on some good info. I feel like J.K. Simmons the Farmers Insurance guy.... "We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two...Ha Ha!
Bill

Reactions: vinny11950
Another lesson learned on what not to do. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to jump into this tread, but I need a little help with my Kozi Previa. It is shooting up the glass "white gray" coloring within hours of starting a new fire. Newer door seal, but the ash door seal is last years, but in good shape. I took a lighter around both doors and there is no air being pulled. My fire is burning very well NO black at all. And there is a triangle of clean glass from the bottom to corners up to the middle of the fire apex. I am running 1/3 to 1/2 air on either 3 or 4 heat seating depending on outside temps. I know I am being a little picky. Currently 3" direct vented, but I have almost enough pipe and supplies to go out and up a couple feet. and my elevation is about 2100ft

thanks in advance

I don't mean to jump into this tread, but I need a little help with my Kozi Previa. It is shooting up the glass "white gray" coloring within hours of starting a new fire. Newer door seal, but the ash door seal is last years, but in good shape. I took a lighter around both doors and there is no air being pulled. My fire is burning very well NO black at all. And there is a triangle of clean glass from the bottom to corners up to the middle of the fire apex. I am running 1/3 to 1/2 air on either 3 or 4 heat seating depending on outside temps. I know I am being a little picky. Currently 3" direct vented, but I have almost enough pipe and supplies to go out and up a couple feet. and my elevation is about 2100ft

thanks in advance
Hey jmb78blue.....Hopefully a moderator will move this to a new thread or just copy and paste into a new one;?
My thread had to do with stuff going on on the "outside" of the glass....you have the classic fuel/air/mixture problems that another Kozi Previa owner would gladly comment on....
Good Luck, Bill