I used to burn 900 gallons of oil but now I burn less than 250 gallons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

control1

Aug 24, 2008
bucks co pa
Since putting in my mt vernon I get 1 delivery per year hot water has been converted back to electric.This scenario is going on through out the USA because the oil companies scared the bejasus out of us in july when oil hit over $4.50 a gallon. How much less are you burning

yardleypa said:
Since putting in my mt vernon I get 1 delivery per year hot water has been converted back to electric.This scenario is going on through out the USA because the oil companies scared the bejasus out of us in july when oil hit over $4.50 a gallon. How much less are you burning

I'm not burning less. HHO is at $2/gal and dropping, as is gasoline.

Why would I be burning less?

Jim

Lobstah said:
yardleypa said:

I'm not burning less. HHO is at $2/gal and dropping, as is gasoline.

Why would I be burning less?

Principal, global warming. It is that attitude that got us into this situation to begin with.

"Principal, global warming. It is that attitude that got us into this situation to begin with. "

I'm not sure what situation you're referring to.

Principal dictates that I use the cheapest means readily available to heat my home...that would be HHO at this point.

Global Warming?...sorry. When you get to the end of that train, what you find is a complete lack of scientific, peer-reviewed evidence, and many more scientists that disagree with the theory than support it. C02 is not a pollutant...it's a requirement for life on this planet. And even if you COULD influence temperature, which we can't do, who gets to set the thermostat, and what does it get set to? ...a dangerous question that AGW proponents seem to overlook.

It's that pesky "next question" thing...

Jim

Ok, and the deregulation of the banking industry didn't lead to the banking industry crisis either.

"Ok, and the deregulation of the banking industry didn’t lead to the banking industry crisis either. "

Ok...that's a bit of a switch...but...

I'm assuming you're talking about subprime lending?...if so, then no, it wasn't caused by deregulation. Do you think for a minute that a bank would loan money to someone who they knew had no chance of paying it back? Does that sound like a viable business model? Banks love money. They love MAKING money.

In fact, it was regulation that led to the mess:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338629,00.html

Jim

yardleypa said:

Yeah, but that`s not the complete story is it? It probably cost you $5K for the stove and install and $300 a ton for pellets not to mention all the labor associated withit.
Then comes the fact that parts of your house aren`t as warm as others since you been space heating and the cellar is colder now that your furnace doesn`t run.
And how bout that electric bill now that your water is heated by electricity?
I`m gonna burn less this year too but at the expense of 4 tons of pellets that weren`t exactly free , nor were they plentiful and easy to get all year. I`m really concerned about the pellet supply and price of them next year as well as the price of oil.

j00fek said:
elec rates will continue to go up, im thinking of switching my hot water to nat.gas looking into http://www.htproducts.com for a while now

As soon as coal fired plants have to buy up carbon credits, you bet prices will go up. People will think they're going through the gas crunch all over again. And there will be talk of gouging, etc. What people fail to realize is that every carbon credit purchased by your utility company will be paid for by YOU, period.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.