I usually do not ask this…..tree id!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I am going to take this guy down next spring. It had a big maple hung on it for several years. The maple finally came down and this guy is not looking good. I never bothered looking at the leaves, assumed it was maple but just last weekend noticed the leaves. It is not maple. Any idea? 205DD9B2-46D8-45BA-AF82-5908262907A6.jpeg085F5DC2-6321-495E-ADEA-242B7FAB1ABF.jpeg

Can you get a closeup shot of a leaf?

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Looks like it might be the same specie as the bigger one to its right, judging from the bark..

The one to the right is hemlock. I will take a pic of a leaf next weekend when I am there. I am hoping it is ironwood.

American Hophornbeam? I've never seen one afaik, but that bark would seem to jibe with the description in the Audubon Guide.. "light brown, thin, finely fissured into long narrow scaly ridges."

Looks like Ironwood to me. They don't get very "big" in the trunk but the strength of the wood allows them to grow that tall. Looks like the one I cut down for my parents a few years ago. Same size. It will amaze you how old that tree is if that is Ironwood. Good luck splitting it. Hope you have a large ton hydro splitter.

I am hoping it is ironwood. There are few smaller in the area.

I was able to get out there today and took few more pics. Definitely not ironwood. I checked the ironwood that is close by and the leaves are completely different.

9E214C94-DE52-4328-B959-5F1CF8B11217.jpeg F2B60837-1D96-471A-BF1D-A529F42134BC.jpeg 95D15534-AC0E-4304-A3FE-AC2C3C88059B.jpeg 041DCFA4-CEB5-4F5E-AF7E-E9316A454F56.jpeg 331A4002-A74B-4F0E-B2AA-80C6C06B6873.jpeg 0B5E204A-1F8D-4E46-870D-36C4281B716D.jpeg

The leaves look like basswood but the bark does not.

Don't the leaves look like elm? Maybe a bit too round?

Don't the leaves look like elm? Maybe a bit too round?
My city neighbor has elms in his yard and definitely these leaves are too round for elm.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yea not elm. For some reason it reminds me of poplar trees but I'm not super familiar with them. Not native around here.

Maybe a linden tree? Linden are the European name while Basswood is the North American name. There are about 30 varieties in Tilia
tilamets1.jpg

"Tilia is a genus of about 30 species of trees or bushes, native throughout most of the temperate Northern Hemisphere. The tree is known as linden for the European species, and basswood for North American species.[1][2] In Britain and Ireland they are commonly called lime trees, although they are not related to the tree that produces the citrus fruit lime. The genus occurs in Europe and eastern North America, but the greatest species diversity is found in Asia. Under the Cronquist classification system, this genus was placed in the family Tiliaceae, but genetic research summarised by the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group has resulted in the incorporation of this genus, and of most of the previous family, into the Malvaceae.

Tilia species are mostly large, deciduous trees, reaching typically 20 to 40 m (65 to 130 ft) tall, with oblique-cordate leaves 6 to 20 cm (2+1⁄4 to 7+3⁄4 in) across. As with elms, the exact number of species is uncertain, as many of the species can hybridise readily, both in the wild and in cultivation. They are hermaphroditic, having perfect flowers with both male and female parts, pollinated by insects."
Wikipedia

"Heat Output​

Linden Trees do not burn very hot or provide long-lasting coals once the fire dies down. But, the wood does light with great ease when dried right and burns very fast. So if your purpose is for warmth or cooking, choose another kind of wood.

It has fewer than 14 BTUs (British Thermal Units), which makes it a poor-quality wood for fires in general. However, it depends on the purpose of your fire and what time of year it is."

I have lots of basswood here. Bark looks different especially on younger trees. Hope it is not basswood, they are like weed here! Sampling everywhere with their massive leaves cover most of the ground.

It's definitely not poplar. I have 2 giant females in my yard and the bark is completely different. Also the leaves are more of a heart shape.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I have lots of basswood here. Bark looks different especially on younger trees. Hope it is not basswood, they are like weed here! Sampling everywhere with their massive leaves cover most of the ground.
The only other trees with a leaf like that would be eastern cottonwood or mulberry. Eastern cottonwood has very furrowed bark and mulberry has a smooth reddish bark.
It could be an old basswood tree if the taller trees were shading it.

Almost like a tulip poplar with the leaves

Reactions: thewoodlands
With Basswood you should be able to find the seeds under the tree: often a leaf(ish piece) with two (pea size) "cherries" each on a little stem hanging under that leaf.

Oh well, another basswood will end up in the stacks.

free heat - just a bit less than the same volume of maple or oak.. But free nonetheless :)