ICC Excel mounting box ERDS vs ERDSI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troy-pit

Sep 13, 2015
Everett WA
I see that the mounting connector box that connects the stovepipe with the chimney has two models. The basic ERDS model and the ERDSI. The ERDSI is insulated and complies with newer r2000 insulated homes with a vapor barrior. Also costs $100 more. My home is nothing special and I spoke to an installer and he said the basic ERDS model is the only one he ever installs. Of course this is my own home so If the insulated ERDSI is going to keep my home insulated better seems like it would be worth the extra money. Anyone have any experience with theses.

I've been looking at ICC Excel as well. Do you have a reference to where it shows that the ERDSI is insulated in addition to just being air-sealed? I'm curious if it's sealed and insulated in a way that'll help me in my install (SIP roof)

Well I assume it is insulated hence the I in erdsi. Would be nice if icc excel had better documentation and pictures of their products on their website.

A year ago I installed the cheaper ERDS after looking at both. I have a super insulated air tight house. The more expensive model is easier to wrap your existing vapor barrier to but I found it much better to foam the outside which forms a perfect vapor barrier on its own. Save your $$$.
If you are just running a stove very occasionally, the the better one might be worth it. But, if you are burning all the time, the negligible heat loss will not make a difference.

From the Excel catalog:
The Insulated Round Support (ERDSI) is designed for installations in energy efficient houses which have tightly sealed vapour barriers. The ERDSI is fully insulated and has a flange to permit an air tight seal to the vapour barrier. It can be installed into an existing home but since it must be installed under the drywall it is most often used for new construction.

Is the insulation in question in the void between the chimney pipe and the wall of the box that normally is air-only?

I actually need to use the Cathedral Ceiling version of the box but I'm looking at ways to avoid having a gaping R1 hole in the highest/hottest portion of my roofline.

Well after contacting ICC Excel here is the response I got. Not sure what it all means though.

Thank you for your e-mail, here are the difference between the ERDS and the ERDSI.

ERDS: Round ceiling support sized 4” larger than the interior chimney diameter If chimney 6” inside, 8” outside, support is 10” allows for reduced clearance to combustible which is integrated in the support (1” air space all around the interior of the ceiling support. Flue extension attached to the end of the insulated chimney and then the assembly rest in the bottom of the ceiling support which is attached to the framing.

ERDSI: Insulated round support Same support box as ERDS, same size . It comes with a 1” insulation blanket to wrap around the chimney that will sit in the support box. Also included is an insulated firestop to install at the ceiling , to which the vapor barrier will cover and then would be sealed, gyproc would then be installed over the firestop on the ceiling. You would then proceed to install the Ceiling support through the firestop and attached to the framing , the chimney section will then be wrapped with the insulation blanket, the flue extension will be attached to the end of the length and the whole assembly will then be inserted in the ceiling support. See instruction and diagram below. If the ceiling where you would install the ceiling support is not finished, and/or has a vapor barrier in place then it would make sense to install the ERDSI since it would give you an insulated penetration point for your chimney.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. The ERDS is a simple metal piece, the ERDSI is the same metal piece with the insulation blanket and fire stop to attach the vapour barrier to.

When you looked at it, did the EDRSI have any insulation in it at all, or was it just easier to vapor-seal?
Missed your question till now. I ordered from info on the web site only. Have not seen that version in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.