Ice storm=12hrs with old generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRXL

Jan 7, 2013
Ontario,Canada
Lost power yesterday around 9am till 9pm. Decided to pull out this old construction generator the last owner of the house left behind. Dusted it off chk the oil filled the gas, pulled the choke out, crossed my fingers and pulled the cord. On the third pull it fired up and stayed running till the power came back on. It had a 1 gallon tank so I was filling it up about every 3.5-4hrs.
Don't know how clean the power was from that genny but I didn't care at the time, I plugged it in to a APC surge protector then plugged my 25PDV in to the APC and it seem to work fine all day. As long as I was getting heat and everyone in the family was warm.
I can tell you from yesterday's experience I will be going out and finally getting a larger newer genny and wiring it up for the whole house. ;)

Better get my generator ready as the ice storm is headed our way. Good to hear you made out ok :)

Status
Not open for further replies.