Ice storm and Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REF1

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
South West, VA
Well, in the midst of everything else going on here with the renovation of the house, I finally got this second Homestead hooked up and the second kindling fire is going as I type, while the ice storm continues to add beauty (if not threat of power loss) to the morning. I can do without the fumes from break-in, but nothing I can do about that but open the window and listen to the ice rain.

The dealer was very good about exchanging the stoves. Being the person I am, I couldn't help notice things out of square again, like legs and side trim, and I had to add a washer to the door handle to tighten up the dollar bill test, but I have settled into the fact stoves are not furniture and they do not put that kind of quality control on them. At least, not Hearthstone and the Homestead. At least there were no problems as the first one had, other than mentioned.

It's a very attractive stove. Everyone who sees it mentions how nice looking it is. We'll see how it heats up the house when I build my first real fires in there.

I wish Hearthstone had optional door swings as they used to. This would be much more convenient in this location if I could load with the door swinging R>L, rather than L>R. But, just something I'll have to get used to and deal with. I may end up with some draft issues. The kindling fires have been okay. I have a six inch flue going into an 8" square masonry chimney. Had the local sweep come and check it out. Said it looks almost new. Not bad for a house around 30+ years old. Guess it has never seen much use. Although the ...

Ugh oh. Just lost power for a second. Guess I'll close.

Have a nice weekend, y'all.

REF1,
I hope the Homestead works for you--we absolutely love ours. Though I agree on the door swap!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.