ID if you please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Lots of these out behind my parents.

Attachments

• phpEKcAKOAM.jpg
    phpEKcAKOAM.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 396
Adios Pantalones said:
Mango tree.
Mango like candy....

Sorry, I couldn't refuse! ;-P

FireAnt said:

FireAnt, do you usually burn mostly oak? I would like to try some one of these days.

Zap

That sure looks like the Rock Oak around here, but we call 'em Chestnut Oak.

zapny said:
FireAnt said:

FireAnt, do you usually burn mostly oak? I would like to try some one of these days.

Zap

Right now I am burning whatever I can get seasoned. This year was a lot of Norway Maple, Birch, and some Ash and left over Oak. This is my first full year. I may go out and take some big limbs home that have fallen to try (if I can carry them out). I can't cut on this land, it's not ours...

I have Hickory and Red Oak seasoning for 13-14.

FireAnt said:
zapny said:
FireAnt said:

Zap

Right now I am burning whatever I can get seasoned. This year was a lot of Norway Maple, Birch, and some Ash and left over Oak. This is my first full year. I may go out and take some big limbs home that have fallen to try (if I can carry them out). I can't cut on this land, it's not ours...

Does the Hickory take a year or more to season?

Zap

That blocky bark definitely looks like chestnut oak to me.

zapny said:

Zap

Not usually around here in all the years I've been burning it.Only time is if I'm cutting some storm damaged live trees in mid summer,then I let the c/s/s wood dry out until the following fall or about 16-18 months.Has a lower moisture content than most hardwoods,not as low as Ash though.6-8 months I've used it in smoker & Weber grill with no trouble.

thats looks like what i got this past summer drying for next year. the bark looks the same. its different from the red oak ive got. not a botanist or tree expert but i have found a few different oak types . pete

zapny said:
FireAnt said:
zapny said:
FireAnt said:

Zap

Zap

I am waiting two years for it in my mind. I will check it with the moisture meter once and a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.