ID needed for some wood from Western Washington

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdev

Jan 2, 2011
Washington
I bought a half cord of this wood yesterday at a nice price, and I can not figure out what it is. has characteristics like oak, but it splits very easy, no twists. Burns well, not too fast, but didn't really leave coals last night. The guy who sold it to me said it was oak, but I don't think so. I was thinking it may be White Ash. I been pouring over google images trying to ID it, not winning

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 329
It is not oak, but I can't say much beyond that.

I can also say it isn't White Ash. White Ash is light colored the whole way through, but this wood has a dark heartwood and light sapwood.

Definitely not oak. Do you have a few pics of some splits that still have bark on them? It would be easier to identify.

Here are more pics. another thing about that bark - it is very difficult to remove

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 298
Definitely some species of western maple,Big Leaf or something related.

Not sure what it is, but as far as I know, there is no white ash that far west. Cheers!

looks like some kinda of pine.

The bark looks sort of Mapley but I've never seen Big Leaf Maple that dark. The stuff I get is usually very light blond. Maple pretty much always has some moss growing on the bark in Western WA too.

Big Leaf does split well with a nice straight grain and the bark stays on. It leaves a pretty good ember bed too at least compared to Doug Fir.

I'd agree it's not Oak...

Status
Not open for further replies.