id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
This is on craigs list.. 3 cords unseasoned for 125 per cord.. what kind of wood is this? my last batch burns so fast. I'm learning from you folks that hardwood does NOT necessarily mean good btu wood. please let me know your thoughts.. thank yoU!

Attachments

• 3G43N13H95L15Z05K4cc8e7c4c852c9b91ee7.jpg
    3G43N13H95L15Z05K4cc8e7c4c852c9b91ee7.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 3K53F33Hc5L35G45S4cc8e77c8a21b4ce1e70.jpg
    3K53F33Hc5L35G45S4cc8e77c8a21b4ce1e70.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 127
I see oak , maple and a little pine.
couple other hardwoods in there I can't ID.

I see several species of oak in there, but its kind of hard to tell 100% on most of it?

Looks like a mix of oak, birch and maybe some ash.

So, from what I have learned (from hearth.com) some oak is good/high btu and some burns like paper with limited btu.. can you tell what kind of oak be here?

Pretty sure the first picture has a good bit of poplar in it (very top just to the right, very right center)

no ak burns like paper unless its doaty/rotted.

So, from what I have learned (from hearth.com) some oak is good/high btu and some burns like paper with limited btu.. can you tell what kind of oak be here?

All oak is good firewood, and no kind burns fast except for punky (rotten) oak. I see oak and maple in the pile. One ceoncern with the oak is that it will not be seasoned. In fact the whole pile looks freshly split and so I doubt it is seasoned. It will have too much moisture for optimal burning. I also see some of the wood is partially punky. A little punk on the outside isOK, punky the whole way through is not. You can burn punky wood, but it has less BTUs than solid wood and you wouldn't want to pay for punky wood.

I see oak, maple and possibly a cherry/birch by the bark. Could be other stuff in there as well. At that price, I would probably take it all and stack it for next year. (the OP does state that it is unseasoned).

What is "punky?" and Which picture do you see Poplar

What's the hint of Punky; decomposing bark?

but WD the wood is sold unseasoned so that should be no suprise. I did not point that out for this reason, but there is a punky split in the front. I think that its just under the bark surface and not into sapwood much??

but WD the wood is sold unseasoned so that should be no suprise. I did not point that out for this reason, but there is a punky split in the front. I think that its just under the bark surface and not into sapwood much??

That is the only piece that I saw that I even thought about being punky...and that would be of no concern to me.

Clemsonfor, not sure I understand. Yes, unseasoned wood. Is unseasoned gets punky? what does "no into sapwood much" mean? thanks for your patience.. I wish I knew more about wood!

Sapwood is the wood around the outside of a tree that carries the sap up into the tree. Some species like oak it is very normal for this part of the wood to show punk or partial rot. Doesn't really hurt anything if there's just a little there.

Status
Not open for further replies.