ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Here are 2 shots of tree 1 and 2 and one shot of tree 3. The pile next to the cut section are the same tree.
Tree 1 produces silk every spring and makes a mess and has an awful scary root system.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 315
  • t11.jpg
    t11.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 327
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 316
  • t22.jpg
    t22.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 294
tree 3

Attachments

• t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 296
tree 2 is white birch.

Thank you
I call that one the slingshot because of the way it looks lol

hareball said:
Thank you
I call that one the slingshot because of the way it looks lol

thats common with white and river birch not sure wht the other one is.

It was planted around 1974, grew fast, broke my water line, drops leaves all summer long and has roots going into the neighbors yard with more of them trying to pop up and grow. The leaves are green on one side and a silver/white o the other.

Tree 2 and 3 are natives.

PA. Woodsman said:
hareball said:
The leaves are green on one side and a silver/white o the other.

Now that sounds like Silver Maple....
+1

Looks like a hybrid poplar, poplar on lower 1/2 , upper 1/2 grey birch or aspen.

PA. Woodsman said:
hareball said:

Is this White Oak? Is it heavy?

Very heavy. I had some limbs trimmed off it over the summer and was looking to burn it for next season. I have 2 of them on the property. I will put a full shot in a few moments.

Tree 3- Here is a shot of the pair and a closeup. Both are rather large for this area but then again they don't have much brush to compete with for fluids.

Attachments

• tc1.jpg
    tc1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 229
  • tc2.jpg
    tc2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 207
  • tc3.jpg
    tc3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 222
I dont see poplaror silver maple but looks like oak to me as others have already pointed out.

3rd pic of the last set could be white oak.
Mittenny leaves and a huge amount of sprouting acorns trying to dig into the ground under it would be more evidence. :)

The set of tree 3 drops acorns like crazy! It's a hard hat area back there once they start dropping. Seriously I can't even let the dog run out there because it's like marbles and he ends up on his a$$.

interchangabLEE said:
Eye dohn tink so!!!!
Slingshot tree B a poplar.

Yup. #1 might be a mature poplar, too. Is the white stuff like downy snow? We call that poplar poop up here.

Tree 3 is definitely white oak. Bark and grain are identical to a mess of it I cut up this spring.

hareball said:
The set of tree 3 drops acorns like crazy! It's a hard hat area back there once they start dropping. Seriously I can't even let the dog run out there because it's like marbles and he ends up on his a$$.

there's the confirm white oak!

Thanks guys!

tree 1 had 3 sections to it but after it broke my water line I took a section off. I was gonna drop it all but it does offer shade for the house so I stopped. It's a decent looking tree but the dropping leaves all summer is no fun and them roots....
It was a few years back that I dropped the section and later burned it.
The fuzz from it reminds me of cotton and it sticks to everything...especially shoes and it gets tracked through the house.

tree 2- Birch of some sort?

tree 3- White Oak!

I am not too sure I have seen enough of tree #1 to give a good guess, but could be cottonwood - the bark looks ok for cottonwood or aspen, and the white stuff could also be either of those species. I am pretty sure tree #2 is not a birch, but rather a poplar. I think it is White Poplar, Populus alba, which is not native, but occasionally planted here. I don't see many large White Poplars, so I am not too familiar with the mature bark, but the whitish upper trunk bark seems right on for that species. The third is White Oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.