ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
From a scrounge the other day, mostly cherry with a little ailanthis mixed in. Normally I wouldnt go near the ailanthus but I figured if this guy was giving me all the cherry for free, already cut, the least I could do is take the little ailanthus tree of hell as well. Start splitting, the cherry smells nasty! Almost acidic. It is green, alot of white color in it, not alot of that darker cherry color in it. Not sure what the deal is with that but thats a different story. Split some small ailanthus, no suprise, smells horrible. Anyway, I get to a few pieces that I thought were ailanthus (pics below). Upon closer inspection, the bark looks different than the ailanthus, and it smells awesome. The best way I can describe the smell is like lime. Its a strong smell, the wife described it as "citrusy". It is heary, but green, splits easy.
When I drove by the scrounge the other day I could see more wood piled up, not cherry. It is light colored wood, i'm guessing more ailanthis or this stuff. I'm wondering what this is and is it worth it to go back for more. Thanks.

Attachments

• limewood 001.jpg
    limewood 001.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 314
  • limewood 002.jpg
    limewood 002.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 343
  • limewood 003.jpg
    limewood 003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 332
Tulip.

Blue Vomit said:
if its poplar, ill pass. i have enough shoullder season wood.

Tulip is a hardwood but not as good as silver maple.

any idea why the cherry from this scrounge smells so nasty? Acidic? It smells like when you are sick with a fever, and your fever finally breaks, and you wake up in the morning in a pool of sweat in your bed... I'm sure that helped alot.

The black cherry (prunus serotina) that grows along the edge of parkland here looks and smells something like that. I don't know if it's the soil or what. The only really good smelling cherry scrounges I've had looked different - bark was more like a purple birch and the wood was a darker red with less sapwood. I think they were sweet cherry (prunus avium).

DiscoInferno said:
The black cherry (prunus serotina) that grows along the edge of parkland here looks and smells something like that. I don't know if it's the soil or what. The only really good smelling cherry scrounges I've had looked different - bark was more like a purple birch and the wood was a darker red with less sapwood. I think they were sweet cherry (prunus avium).

this stuff smells nasty, I think its (prunus assius)

Cherry just smells that way. It'll help you ID it from Black Birch. Which smells like wintergreen!

Matt

Looks like beech.

Status
Not open for further replies.