ID this brand...please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burning VC

Feb 6, 2020
wNC
Hi

My brother wants to give my Dad a 'Papa Bear' style woodstove with this identical door/logo..

I've searched for a few days, but if anyone can id it, I can start to rebuild/restore it...
1581145084632.png

This is not the actual stove, the actual stove from Brother has a blower,
with three tubes running front to back in the firebox,
and this one does not.

I just am tired of Websearching for this Logo/image, and getting nothing in result.

Thank you.

Reactions: Todd67
Where did you find that image? Any information with it? That could determine if it was local near you or some insight where it came from. I'd like to see the rest of yours with the blower tubes and blower. Step top? One piece or multiple piece top? The pic looks like an insert, or legs have been cut off? Check the inside of door for markings (wire brush it) and under stove for marks in weld. Inside the bell dampers could be marked with the manufacture or patent number of them. Are they cast iron, and does yours use the square head bolts? Does yours have hinge pins since the bolts used for pins in the pic don't match? Is your handle and wood knob the same?
Really need pictures of the actual stove. Logo doesn't look familiar.
Not many made the big square huntsman style ash fender. Is that hexagonal steel welded to ash fender (shelf) edge?

Reactions: burning VC
@coaly , it kinda looks like that galvanized box is sitting on top of that stove like an oven or something... ;?

I think it's a heat duct probably connected to the return air of a furnace? (or just up through a floor) The door on top may be to open or remove if you want heat from the stove top to heat the area it's in.

Reactions: burning VC
Where did you find that image?
Any information with it?
I'd like to see the rest of yours with the blower tubes and blower.
Step top? One piece or multiple piece top?
The pic looks like an insert, or legs have been cut off?
. Are they cast iron, and does yours use the square head bolts?
Does yours have hinge pins since the bolts used for pins in the pic don't match?
Is your handle and wood knob the same?
Really need pictures of the actual stove. Logo doesn't look familiar.
Not many made the big square huntsman style ash fender.
Is that hexagonal steel welded to ash fender (shelf) edge?
found the original stove,(NOT ours!!) here:

Resized_20200205_123613[1].jpg Resized_20200205_123630[1].jpg

These are the actual stove photos...

There is information on the link above , but again....
that is NOT the stove.......this post contains the actual stove..

It's got the same Logo... that's about it...The first stove above has a stepped top...

I personally think Dad's better off with the GPa Bear...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yours looks like it is more original with hinge pins and a 3 fin draft cap. Make sure the legs are at least 6 inches high. Could be sunk in the ground. That is the leg height minimum for floor clearance that is the Standard in NFPA 211 that was used for testing of floor protection criteria. Legs get cut down for many reasons, and then can only be used on non-conbustible surface. Simply set on bricks to obtain the 6 inch min. Height if necessary.
If he is currently using a Grandpa, he likely has an 8 inch chimney. This is a 6 inch stove, so it would benefit from using a 6 inch liner. You need to match the stove and chimney. You don’t want this size stove that is more efficient than a Grandpa allowing the flue gasses to expand in a larger chimney area. They cool as they expand which requires more heat to be left up to keep the flue clean. That causes you to burn this stove harder to let more heat up the chimney, wasting fuel.

Hey coaly, thanks for the attention...

I have 40 years of wood burning experience... pre-EPA stove
His Fisher Grandpa Bear works well, but when i started using an Ecofan to stir the air,
he noticed the difference in evenly heating the house.

my Bro had a stove with a built in blower, and here we are.

A lot of 'new users' here don't have any experience,
and need guidance....I'm sure i COULD burn this correctly....etc

Read my other posts, or send me a PM...

I just want to know Who Makes This Stove(made)?