ID tree Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
I need help Identifying species of trees. Is there a link that someone can share that shows a close up picture of the tree with a close up of the leaf? Since the Noreaster there are many cut pieces around that I want to scavenge but I'm not sure what they are and if they are good for BTU. I need a picture resource. Thanks!

Nice, Thanks!

Vixster,

I know what you mean. Wood is literly laying around everywhere. Nows the time to grab all you can. Alot of it is ornamental (landscaped trees) such as bradford pears. Not the best - but still BTU's. Grab what you can and don't sweat the ID. You can burn it as shoulder wood next year. I am seeing alot of OAK.

vixster said:
I need help Identifying species of trees. Is there a link that someone can share that shows a close up picture of the tree with a close up of the leaf? Since the Noreaster there are many cut pieces around that I want to scavenge but I'm not sure what they are and if they are good for BTU. I need a picture resource. Thanks!

You can always post a picture here and get a response, although not as quickly as if you had a book in hand. For apost here try to get close up of leaves, some pics showing leaves on a small branch, a short of the bark, and the cut end of a round. if it is still there a picture of the whole tree can be helpful too, but leaves, twig, bark, and the end grain of a cut are generally more than enough for a definitive ID. Of course on here you may have to decide who is right and who is wrong, but you can run into that problem doing it yourself too.

There are lots of nice field guides (books) out there. If you are really interested in knowing the trees I'd get one of the more detailed, serious guides, not one of the very thin photo-based books. I looked at the Sibley Guide to trees the other day and it looked very nice, although the proof is in using it in the woods, not reading in a book store.

I think basswidow has it right - collect all you can and don't worry too much about what species it is. I would take the easiest stuff first, focusing especially on large diameter rounds if you can find them. It is generally easy to get small wood anytime, but large rounds are the reason an early snow storm is scrounger Christmas in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.