Ideal Steel install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi trguitar,

This is Lorin at Woodstock Soapstone Co. Your potential installation thread piqued my interest (sorry I'm late to the game), and I read through your restrictions and wanted to address the installation concerns, and since I'm a visual person, I took and annotated a few pictures.

The biggest issue with your installation is the fireplace opening height of 27.5". One of the pictures attached shows the back of the stove with the flue collar flipped to lower the maximum flue height (this image represents the stove height 1" above the lowest setting, in order to accommodate the ash pan). The top of the flue collar attachment is at 27.75", 1/4" above your opening height. Please note the slope in the collar and I'll address this next.

Flue collar flipped.jpg

The hearth depth of 21", with ember protection at the floor level, would actually work, without modifying the hearth, IF you are able to get the back of the stove pushed up against the fireplace opening. I pulled out an Ideal Steel and had a colleague hold a straight edge to the back of the stove, to make sure you had been given an accurate measurement. Measured closely, you will see that the structural leg of the stove is just under 21". I've attached two images of this measurement.

straight edge.jpg

close up measurement.jpg

However, if you look back at the image with the flue collar, the standard flue collar protrudes beyond the back of the stove and slopes down to the 27.75" measurement. Due to the standard flue collar design, you would not be able to push the back of the stove flush with the fireplace opening to allow the structural legs to sit on the raised hearth.

As luck would have it, we've been able to address this issue with another customer by fabricating a 6" diameter ring welded to a mounting plate to drastically reduce the profile of the collar. We made a few extra modified collars in anticipation of similar restraints coming up in the future. I've included an image of the modified collar mounted to the back of the stove. If you were to use the modified collar, the fit would be close, but I do think you'll be able to get the structural legs onto the raised hearth.

modified flue collar.jpg

The clean out access to the tee has a simple solution. The access point to clean out the tee would be through the top block-off plate. I've attached a picture which shows the top block-off plate removed and looking into the flue collar/tee area. After running a brush down your chimney, you can remove the top block-off plate and remove any soot accumulation within the tee.

access to tee.jpg

Whew! I hope this helps, and holler with any questions.

Lorin Day
Woodstock Soapstone Co.
[email protected]
1-800-866-4344

Status
Not open for further replies.