Ideas needed for masonry work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I'm looking for ideas on how to add three feet to this chimney. I don't want to add it to the entire area, just around the flue. I also don't want it to look weird. I already know about the pre-made flue extenders. I'm looking to do it myself.

Thanks!

IMG_2205.jpg

If you're extending because it violates the 2-3-10 rule, you may not need 3 additional feet on top of what you have. Or are you extending for improved draft?
A clay chimmney pot is a quick and easy solution that should look fine.
Otherwise, I'd look into adding one section of clay flue and matching the existing stone and overall dimensions. It may look odd if you suddenly transition to a smaller rectangle. I guess it depends on how visible the chimney is and if you're worried about aesthetics affecting the resale value of your home.

Is this going to be a open fireplace or are you going to put a liner down it for a appliance.

I am putting a liner down for and insert I just ordered. I don't violate the 3-2-10 rule. I do violate the minimum requirement of 15' feet from base of fireplace to top of flue by about 3', that why I would like to extend it.

If I use a section of clay flue, how can I attach it to what I already have? There is no lip on the current flue, the crown makes it flush (see pic).

Thanks

Hi -

I just made and adapter plate and ened the liner at the top of the flue, then added a 3' section of Class A chSS cchimney, then the cap. It is also Easy to clean by just removing the 3' extension.

I got the 3' section of Ebay for $70 delivered.

All the best.
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.