ideas on how to vent my new pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyrichard

Dec 12, 2006
I just got a Harmon XXV pellet stove. I need to vent it into an existing masonry flu that has an 8 inch thimble right in brick as it's opening.

The pipe for the pellet stove is 3 inch. The guy at the stove store originally sold me a 3 to 8 in adapter, but it's outer diameter was 9 inches so it would not fit into the 8 inch thimble I have.

I used to have a wood burner in this spot. For the wood burner I had a 6 to 8 inch adapter that fits this thimble just perfect. I went and got a 3 inch to 6 inch adapter (the 6 inch is the inner diameter) and that fits over the 6 inch to 8 inch adapter I have in there now, but with all that stuff it pushes the stove out to far so it is sitting right on the edge of the hearth.

What I need is a piece of 3 inch pellet stove pipe that has an 8 inch OD end on it, but I cannot find this part.

I hope that makes sense.

Any suggestions? I am hoping for heat this weekend!!

Thanks,
WR

you could purchase a galvanized thimble and cement it in to fit your 3" pipe also get a deco plate cover and cut out the 3" center so that you do not see your cement work it will cover

Even if you get a 4" galvanized thimble you can adjust that down to fit your pipe and pop rivit it together then cement it in

Is it possible you need a short 8" peice to connect the 3-8" adaptor into the thimble? Or maybe you need an adaptor collar. Do you know what brand the thimble is? Or the pellet vent?

From you previous posts I understand that this chimney has no cleanout. How high up from the bottom of the chimney is the stovepipe entrance? That stack is eventually going to fill up with ash. How will the fly ash be cleaned out? This sounds like a disaster in the makings unless there is a way to clean the chimney out. If it were me, I'd be running 3" or 4" flex pipe from stove to chimney top.

Status
Not open for further replies.