Ideas to repair rust marks on top of wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samcanadian

Nov 12, 2019
Winnipeg, Canada
So the wifey placed a plant on the wood stove, watered it, and it overflowed and sat on top of the stove for not sure how long. Came home from work today any noticed it.

Is this just a rustoleum fix, or what?

xXb1PYnl.jpg

So the wifey placed a plant on the wood stove, watered it, and it overflowed and sat on top of the stove for not sure how long. Came home from work today any noticed it.

Is this just a rustoleum fix, or what?

xXb1PYnl.jpg
Paint yes but not Rust-Oleum. Use stove brite

@Caw has another housemate who causes such issues. Just posted a thread how he fixed it.

That's not too bad, some of it looks more like calcium salts from hard water. To test, wipe it down with some vinegar on a rag, then clean with a damp, plain water cloth. If that does not work, I would try buffing it out with very fine 00 steel wool before painting.

Reactions: Rob_Red
I had to get the crown of my chimney replaced as I was getting water down my chimney. Long story short I had some rust on the top of my stove from the moisture. Use a steel wire brush to remove the rust then spray with some stove paint and you will be fine. Easy fix.