Identify Glacier Bay insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldinnj

I need to identify whether a stove is designed for Wood or Coal.
I understand that some can be used for both however they are not best at both. Coal needs air from bottom, wood needs supply from top. Other varriables apply probably. The stove in question is an old Glacier Bay fireplace insert. It has a solid bottom door with an air control knob and an ash pan. The Top also has a solid door with an air control knob. Between the bottom and top there are grates which operate via a removable handle. Firebrick surrounds the combustion chamber. Brackets in sides to accomodate a baffle for the top (this is missing so I don't know the measurements to make a new one yet). The baffle would sit at an angle from front to back at appox 40 degrees (guess). 8" round hole in top back half for exhaust combustion air. No blowers. firebox approx.18" x 17" with brick installed. Baffle should be approx. 20.5" wide by ??? deep. Room circulation air enters through bottom opening almost entire width of unit but only approx. 1" high, leaves through same design at top front of unit. Has legs but they are removable. Has removable heavy plates that can lay on top of shaker grates to basically close off bottom.
My unknowledgeable thought is this is designed for coal but by using the plates and air control knobs it can also function for wood.
I have excellent detailed pictures, having difficulty posting here will post later if possible and if someone desires.
Also is there a place I can purchase a blower for it. As the opening in the bottom is so small (the door overhangs the opening a little) and placing a blower on top has the heat problems that may damage unit. I'm not sure if it is feasible.

If you're talking about the stove I believe you are (pictured here) it is designed for both wood and coal. We had one in the house I grew up in (that house was just sold last week, along with the stove).

If we're talking about the same stove....

There is a plate that goes inside the firebox, blocking the bottom half (or so) of the door opening, so that coal can be loaded in and not fall out on your feet. Slide the plate in for coal, out for wood. We shook down the fire a bit each evening (using the detatchable handle) and brought the ashes out. Shake gently when burning wood, or you'll end up with much less hot stuff on top than you'd like. Also, be careful burning anything that may have nails in it. Hot nails tangled in a hot grate that won't shake isn't a recipe for a fun evening as I recall :).

As for the blower, it mounts on the side (ours was on the right hand side, when looking at it from the front). I believe when the blower was used, the opening under the ash-pan door was sealed off using a provided plate. Keep the plate off for convection, put it back on for blower use.

Without having access to the house/stove, I can't give much more info myself, but I can get details from my father who I'm sure remembers more than I do.

-Hal

here are the pictures now for the Glacier Bay
Entire unit without shield / fireplace mask installed
Other pics to follow

Attachments

• entire unit without shield.jpg
    entire unit without shield.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4,269
These were coal-wood models and very heavy duty.....

You might be able to find replacement blowers at a place like woodsmans or stove parts unlimited. If not, you can probably get something generic at Grainers which will fit.

Quite a few of these out there, so you might (or we might) even dig up a manual sooner or later.

Thank you for the information.
Sorry I don't know how to post more then one picture at a time so here is the next picture.
As to the reply about the blower. Do you have any pictures of the blower setup as I don't see how to use a plate to cut off the air you refer to. Where does it go? If it were to block off the air below the bottom door then how would the air circulate around the stove to pick up the heat?
The bottom opening is only about 1" high. I don't see a blower on the market tha is that small. If a blower were mounted on the top I would think the heat would ruin the blower motor very quickly.
Also as you mentioned it is supposed to be both wood or coal. From what I heard a stove is only best for one or the other. Which is this best for?

Attachments

• Open doors.jpg
    Open doors.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,809
Thanks agin for the info.
Here is an inside picture.
The thick heavy plate laying in the bottom is removable. I assume it should have another or two and that the plates are for blocking the grates so air does not come in from the bottom when burning wood. If I am wrong pleas tell me. The plate fits perfectly in width. Unless this plate is what Haljason mentioned. If so I still don't know what would be used for blocking the grates for wood burning then.
The blowers you mentioned... do they go top or bottom? Any idea what CFM?
Can anyone tell me how to post multiple pictures at one time on my response so I am not having to multiple reply?
That manual sounds like a fantastic idea. Let me know please.

I think it was an external squirrel cage type blower - possibly with a short tube to connect to the inlet - inlet at bottom, should be evident by both holes?

Back in the day, before EPA, stoves could burn both fuels well - of course, it will not burn wood like a newer clean burners. Also, this thing holds a lot of coal, so you don't want to use coal until it gets really cold.

Make certain install is up to date by using a direct connection to the flue and a tight fitting block off plate. Plenty of info here about both. You can get round to oval tubes which will allow you to do this right.

"should be evident by both holes?"
Not sure of what "both holes" you speak of.

Our home is fairly large, maybe 3500 sqf, old- 1800's, zero insulation, lots of windows most rooms have 5 which are all single pane hand rubbed glass (original windows and sashes), most windows are approx. 6' high by 30" wide, 9' ceilings. The first floor (where fireplace is located - 4 rooms all very open, the second floor not as open (bedrooms), third floor one room.
Therefore we will need a blower system if this is to do the job.
Too strong a unit - results in air not getting heated.
Too weak a unit - result air will not circulate to the needed areas.
Old furnace: Oneida Royal - 14,400 BTU - Installed 1980 - Stove coal
The home was heated by a large old hand shoveled furnace in the basement. No Stocker, No Automatic anything. I control the combustion draft by opening the bottom flap. No duct work to speak of, just the big 3' x 3' grate over top of it with 2 returns placed approx 8' away from the grate, these returns are ducted down to the very large blower. So it just blows the air accross the furnace kidney and right up the grate getting its return air from the 2 small vents. Blower is automatic as I have installed a device to have it kick on when air gets hot enough.
However this system used to heat the home incredibly well (so hot it melted our thick wedding candle in a china cabinet in another room one winter) and very cheaply, with approx. 1/2 coal bucket of ash a week a the most. I threw a couple of shovels full on it in the morning, did the same before going to bed, had the draft door shut almost all the way. Normally we could have some windows open on very cold days to cool off a bit. At times when we looked down at the grate we could see the furnace glowing red.
Unfortunately the furnace no longer does it's job. Keeps going out, tons of ashes, little heat. Either the coal around here s**ks anymore (I've been told it does) or it just has air leaks I cannot find. I've tried changing Barometrics, installing a damper. Changed the stack pipe to chimney. The baffle had melted away so I had my welder make a new one (may not be correct size as we had nothing to base it on) Chimney seems ok, get lots of draft as the barometric must be set pretty high or it goes horizontal.

So the idea is to try to heat the home as best I can with this Glacier Bay unit installed in the fireplace on the first floor.

"Make certain install is up to date by using a direct connection to the flue and a tight fitting block off plate."
Am I correct in that all I have to do is run the new pipe up approx. 4' so it is into the old Clay flue liner? The Glacier bay has an 8" round stack pipe opening. My chimney is approx. 28' above the top of the stove.

"Plenty of info here about both. You can get round to oval tubes which will allow you to do this right."
I want to do it right. Saftey is paramount. Direct me or I will look around.
This forum is great. You people are very helpful.

more pics:
"Baffle" shows where it mounts but it is missing, easy to make though.

"Stack hole" shows top where combustion air outlet is located. 8" however I do not see a damper control? I would think this would be needed. Again probably easy to make, a flat plate on a rod extending accross the top to the front, but not sure if it is supposed to have one.
I have seen new units with dampers. Anyone know if this is supposed to have one?

Attachments

• Baffle.jpg
    Baffle.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,118
  • stack hole.jpg
    stack hole.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,115
That "heavy plate" that you have covering the grate is in fact plate that should be standing on it's long edge, just inside the firebox door for "coal mode" and sitting on a shelf somewhere for "wood mode". The only time it should be on the grates as it is in your picture is for "summer storage" :)

The blower, does not mount on the bottom as it does with most inserts that I've seen, it mounts on the side. here is another ebay auction of the same stove. You can see the blower on the right hand side. When the blower is in use, the air opening under the ash-pan door gets covered with a plate, and the air intake is through the blower. When the blower is not in use, the plate gets removed for convection.

If by some chance my father took the manual with him when he moved, rather than leaving it at the house, I'll scan it and get you a copy.

-Hal

No stack damper needed unless you see where there was one - I don't think there was. I meant "bolt holes" as far as the blower, but it is always possible it fastens some other way. The baffle could be fabbed from heavy steel or lighter stainless....use some bends if possible to stiffen or it will look like a potato chip before long!

Webmaster said:
No stack damper needed unless you see where there was one - I don't think there was. I meant "bolt holes" as far as the blower, but it is always possible it fastens some other way. The baffle could be fabbed from heavy steel or lighter stainless....use some bends if possible to stiffen or it will look like a potato chip before long!

No damper was stock on this, at least not the one we had (and it was installed new). The baffle was just a large steel plate, had no bends for stiffening, and looked like a potato chip as long as I can remember! ;)

-Hal

I looked around the site.
I do not see an answer to my question as to whether I need to run my stack pipe only about 4' or 5' to reach into the clay lined flue section of the chimney or do I need to run all the way up to the top. approx. 28'.
In either case do I need stainless steel? Black pipe? 24 ga galvanize?
Do I need to do any special cleaning to the chimney other then a simple brushing first? Prior to burning coal in it.

With what I am doing now... the chimney is 1 large chimney made with 2 seperate chambers (flues). One side has always been for the coal furnace, terminates in the basement at the stack pipe. The other has always been for the wood burning fireplace. Terminates at fireplace, with it's own opening in basement for cleanout from fireplace. The 2 chambers do not join except at fianl opening at end of chimney on roof. I am trying to set it up to run the coal (Glacier Bay) in the fireplace side. It has never showed any signs of creosote buildup. Used to be inspected and cleaned by a sweep until he told me not to bother every year as it butned so clean and I tend to clean it my self with just a wire chimney brush. In addition I have run those "creosote cleaning logs" in it.

Also as to some of the other info I found and as I have done all my heating in this home with a manual coal furnace for about 15 years also many years ago I heated a livestock good sized building with another hand operated coal stove. I may have some insights or things to contribute. No expert of course, just research - trial and many errors.
This project is a little different. In my previous endeavers I had the setups either using their own stack pipes begining to end or stack pipe into chimney designed for same.
BTW this site when listing coal sizes only goes up as high as "chestnut"? I still burn "stove" coal. Hard to get decent quality though.
The best around used to be "Lehigh Coal and Navigation" near Tamaqua, PA. Most people refer to it as "Old Company Lehigh".
Great quality, not much different in price. Unfortunately they went out of business. The last I heard the coal being sold there was often from other lines brought in and mixed or sold outright.
Now no one seems to have any good coal. I've tried, Blashaks, Coal Contractors, South Tamaqua coal pockets, Reding, Jedo Highland. Ive done my own kinds of tests as to which burns hotter, ash quantities, smell, clinkers, burn time, ease of starting.

Webmaster
Can you please direct me to the website for "woodsmans" I have not found them.
I am still in need of the blower which have not been able to locate yet.
The opening on the side for the squirrel cage blower is 16" high x 2 1/4" wide although the Blower unit itself is larger, it must cover that size opening.
I have more detailed pictures of the proper blower (from someone else) if you would like.
I do not know the CFM specifications.
If not any other source new or used would be appreciated.
Here is the Front of Blower

Attachments

• Blower front low res.jpg
    Blower front low res.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,640
Thank you BrotherBart.

Found their site thanks to you.
This is going to be a challenge. I looked at their site. As they do not have Glacier Bay listed. I tried calling them. The lady told could not help me. They doi not have a cross reference. I would have to know exactly which blower I wanted. I need to know all the measurements, CFM etc and then try to match it up. They suggest that I look locally.
Anyone know the measurements, CFM etc for the Blower? Or perhaps a model number and manufacturer? I am assuming Glacier Bay did not make the blower unit themselves.

coldinnj said:
Thank you BrotherBart.

Found their site thanks to you.
This is going to be a challenge. I looked at their site. As they do not have Glacier Bay listed. I tried calling them. The lady told could not help me. They doi not have a cross reference. I would have to know exactly which blower I wanted. I need to know all the measurements, CFM etc and then try to match it up. They suggest that I look locally.
Anyone know the measurements, CFM etc for the Blower? Or perhaps a model number and manufacturer? I am assuming Glacier Bay did not make the blower unit themselves.

Grainger seems to handle pretty much every OEM motor and fan assembly ever made. Might see what numbers you can get off of the motor assembly and give them a try.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

In fact, post the identification info off of the motor here and I will do some looking too.

OK, BrotherBart
attached please find 2 photos of a paper tag on the transformer on the motor unit. This is the only identifiable tag I could see on the unit. It is on a unit at another location that I dod not have access to. Theses are the best phots I could aquire.
Judge for yourself but I believe the numbers are:
712 902525
026274 / 12

perhaps the / is really a 7

Attachments

• Label only 12.jpg
    Label only 12.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,203
  • Label only 2 11.jpg
    Label only 2 11.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,214
BrotherBart After posting I see the second picture looks pretty bad, but if you click on it it will clear up alot.
Thanks again for the help. Hope we can find this unit.
If not I may have to try adapting something different.

What is wrong with the current fan? Does it work at all? If not, is it the fan or the control bad? What is the actual dimmensions of the squirrel cage fan inside of the blower housing? I may have a Graingers squirrel cage fan that would work for you. But you would need to be somewhat hand to replace / adapt it.

Hi BeGreen

The big problem with my current blower / fan...
Is...
...I don't have one. :)
I never did have one.
The pictures and information on the fan I posted are from someone elses unit. I no longer have access to their unit for information. I do not have the squirrel cage, fan, motor, or housing for the fan setup.
I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire pictures of someone elses blower unit only. The numbers from the unit posted earlier are from those same pictures. Location of the tag seen below.
Had I known better at the time I would have tried to get more information on the fan unit. Now it is too late.
If someone reads this and has the other information ie. measurements, CFM, that would be great.
I may have to make some sort of housing out of sheet metal myself to hold it.

Attachments

• inside with tag  11 low res.jpg
    inside with tag 11 low res.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 775
Status
Not open for further replies.