1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Identifying a VT Castings stove

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Menachem, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Menachem

Menachem New Member

Hi,

We recently bought a house with a wood stove and I am trying to identify the model so I can locate a user manual and get started....I looked in all the obvious places but can't seem to locate any more info than its a Defiant and seems to have removable legs??

I also think it may be missing covers in the back but thats a guess form looking at other manuals.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
  3. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    doesn't look like it's in bad shape. what's the inside look like? outside just needs a cleaning.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Given it's age I would at least give it a total cleaning of ash. After vacuuming out the interior I would blow out the secondary passages with a strong blast of compressed air.
  5. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    Then vacuum the house...
    remkel likes this.
  6. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    LOL, yes, do this outside for sure.
  8. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Open up the front doors and look at the back of the stove, there should be date cast into the fireback with some sort of fan shaped decoration. if the fireback has a horizontal seam running right to left about halfway up, its Defiant 1A or a modified 1. If it has a full piece fireback with no seam its definitely a Defiant 1. Most if not all Defiant 1s were modified to the two piece fire back as single piece would warp and screw up the secondary burn system. If you find one with a one piece fireback that is not warped its a very rare underused stove.

Parts are still available and rebuilding them isnt hard but messy. If you have good draft in the chimney, its worth getting the secondary air working, but even when run with the top damper open they still throw out a lot of heat.

One thing to be aware is that they dont take kindly to be filled up with wood and then have the air shut off. They can and will backpuff to the extent that the cast iron cooling grate will lift up entirely out of the top of the stove.
  9. Menachem

Menachem New Member

Firstly thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

This is my first stove so I know very little at all. When I get back to the house Ill check the back to try and determine exactly which one it is.

I think I will have someone out to check the stove pipe and clean the chimney - would they clean the stove as well and check the secondary air passages? I burned it once in updraft and it was no problem keeping the whole house warm but it seemed to burn a lot of wood.....

Originally I thought I was missing the back cover off the temperature control but now Im not sure if there was something on there or not...
  10. Menachem

Menachem New Member

11. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    on my defiant 1 there is no cover over the spring up top. it looks just like yours but with one exception. i have the metal heat shield that covers to whole back side of the stove.
  12. defiant3

Loc:
    No. NH
    So there would have been a sheet metal cover for the thermostat at one time, but it'll work ok w/o it.

It doesn't matter which Defiant it is, they all work the same way. When it needs repair, THEN it'll matter . Who knows, that might be a long long time. As long as you can control the stove temp. and the damper doesn't start acting wierd, you're probably good to go. Keep us up to date, and happy heating!
  13. defiant3

Loc:
    No. NH
    What part of the world do you live in? Chimney guys might know how to service that stove and they might not. There are stove people though...
  14. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    The positive thing is maintenance on the old VC stoves is relatively easy. They come apart and go back together without too much effort.....unless something is warped.....or something cracks.....or .....or.......or......

My father has been burning in a Defiant since 1979. Still runs like a charm. A little rebuild every few years and runs like new.

You mentioned running it in updraft......it will run fine that way because the flame and gases are not passing through the rear baffles. If you run it with the damper closed and the baffles are plugged with ash, this will cause the fire to smolder. Enjoy that stove!
  15. harryfatcat

harryfatcat Member

Loc:
    South West New Hampshire
    I'm rebuilding a 1A right now, nice stove. I wish I could use it myself but my flue is too small.
  16. harryfatcat

harryfatcat Member

Loc:
    South West New Hampshire
    I have two copies of the owners manual for a 1A if you can't download one from VC.