Identifying old Lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arbon

Jan 31, 2021
Australia
Hi from Australia,
I recently bought an old small Lopi (to go with my Liberty!) but am having problems identifying the model so I can find a manual. Have attached a few photos. Main difference to anything I can find is that the bypass damper is a rotating steel plate. Has a single secondary air tube at front.
Any help would be appreciated!
Arbon

L1.jpg L2.jpg L3.jpg

Hi– Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated! The double doors had me fooled.
Any ideas if a fire of that age would be worth renovating? The damper needs some work but all the bricks are in perfect condition. The secondary air tube has seen better days but I suspect will work fine. Any thoughts?

Replace the secondary tubes with stainless steel versions if possible. The old ones were not stainless and didn't stand up well over time.

Reactions: Hoytman
Thanks begreen- appreciate your help very much. Would it be possible to fabricate these myself as I am sure that there would be no 35 year old parts available in Australia! Also the old tube seems like it is welded in–is there trick to replacing the tube? One other question- would it be advisable/worthwhile/possible putting in a second tube towards the back of the firebox?

Thanks for you any help

Arbon

Possible, but it might be a challenge. The stainless tubing is not metric, so getting a proper fit might be a challenge. How bad is the tube? Has it ruptured open, or just sagging a bit?

I haven't owned or worked on a Lopi this old. I just recall the early 1990s Lopis had steel burn tubes that burned out after several years of regular burning. Lopi does make replacements for them, but I don't know if one of these could be adapted to an older stove or not.

Yeah, that is shot. It needs to be replaced before additional damage is done by creating a hotspot at that break. The replacement tube should be the same diameter and have the same sized holes and spacing.