If 123cu.ft.= a cord,old man does good.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave P

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2007
After cutting, hauling and splitting wood last winter, I used the above formula and came up with 12 cords of wood stacked and drying for next year. If that formula isn't correct let me know so I can stop bragging. After 6 decades, at least I can still get my chainsaw up.

128 cubic feet. But what the heck, whose counting. I am 61 and wish I had 12 cord stacked.

Good job.

Dave P said:
After cutting, hauling and splitting wood last winter, I used the above formula and came up with 12 cords of wood stacked and drying for next year. If that formula isn't correct let me know so I can stop bragging. After 6 decades, at least I can still get my chainsaw up.

Good work, but BB is right 128 is on the money. but you are doing awesome!! What about this years supply?

Thanks,
Guess I'll keep bragging. This will be for the upcoming heating season. Back in the woods in Dec.
Dave

Dave P said:

After only 6 decades, I hope you can get more than your chainsaw up!

12 cords is good. Keep cutting though. The way I figure, at our age you never know. If an injury or sickness keeps you out of the woods a year, it is nice to have enough on hand so you don't have to depend on friends and neighbors to do your work for you. We have about 7 years cut, split and stacked and are already working on more! Most cutting though is done starting in December.

that was one of my goals for this year. get next years supply down, bucked up and split. havent even started on next years yet, hell, it was only three weeks ago I finished this years!

Dave P said:

Excellent, How much of that 12 cords do you think you’ll burn in one season?
Put me in the old mans club too. I’ll hit 63 this month but I got lazy and found a place were I get rounds mostly cut to size so the saw doesn’t see much running time.

I wear one of those back support belts when I feel the lower back starting to feel the strain.

I built a super insulated/passive solar house and use less than 2 full cords a winter. I know it sounds strange, but working in the winter woods is something I really enjoy. Keep moving to stay healthy.

I'm sure I don't measure the volume of wood I have on hand to within +/- 4%. Mostly I just eyeball it and swag it. I'll be 60 in December, and arithmetic has already begun to be painful. Right now I'd say I have about 13 cords on site...give or take a cord. Close enough for government work. %-P Rick

I have about 12-13 face cords split and should be well seasoned for this winter. I should be good since I only use about 6-7 face cords if I added correctly. Hell I am only 36 and my arithmetic is long gong ;-P
Look for a new post from moi soon of "Got Rid of a Subura for this".

Looking forward to having at least three years worth maybe four when my next door neighbor gets some of his big ass pin cherries dropped. Oh how sweet it is, wood, stacked and split as far as the "Aye" can see....that was a tribute to you fossil :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.