If you had your druthers . . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What is your favorite all around wood for burning?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple that I planted in my yard- one has survived 5+ years. Others that I planted in MA, I suspect still grow in my ex wife's yard.

It grows in MD, PA, MO, KS, OH, IL- some of which get a bit nipply in the winter.

Well if I'm going to transplant in trees to grow its going to a be a sugar bush and a christmas tree plot. Stuff to make money not stuff to burn. I meant that OO doesn't grow around here naturally. Just as we have access to trees that people in AK would give a nice body part for.

Osage Orange is one mutha of a firewood. Harvesting is a royal pain, but the return is wood that has burning characteristics like coal. If you have never burned it, get a pickup load and get is seasoned real good. Throw that on your overnight fire and see what happens. :cheese:

It is true that O.O. has a low moisture content even when green, but by far will burn better after a year of seasoning. I got a "special" stack of O.O just for those bad,bad,bad weather times. Oh yeah, there are times that you will open the door of the stove and that log will light up like a sparkler. It'll freak you out the first time it happens. Pretty cool though.

Downside - you need to have an established fire to really get the O.O to start burning (unless you light your stove with a road flare or a burning pile of magnesium :bug: ).

I don't know that I'd deliberately plant an Osage Orange tree, or a Monkeyball tree as they're called here. Those suckers are a royal pain when they drop large nasty fruit into the road. Wouldn't want them in my yard.

The 4' Red Oak I am working on right now also took down an 2' Hedge tree. I drool every time I cut on the oak trying to get through the top of it so I can start on the hedge!

Jags said:
Osage Orange is one mutha of a firewood. Harvesting is a royal pain, but the return is wood that has burning characteristics like coal. If you have never burned it, get a pickup load and get is seasoned real good. Throw that on your overnight fire and see what happens. :cheese:

It is true that O.O. has a low moisture content even when green, but by far will burn better after a year of seasoning. I got a "special" stack of O.O just for those bad,bad,bad weather times. Oh yeah, there are times that you will open the door of the stove and that log will light up like a sparkler. It'll freak you out the first time it happens. Pretty cool though.

Downside - you need to have an established fire to really get the O.O to start burning (unless you light your stove with a road flare or a burning pile of magnesium :bug: ).
best way to cut it is carbide tip chain

smokinj said:
Jags said:

best way to cut it is carbide tip chain injectachain without it you throw alot of sparks and iam not sure why,just seems harder than rock

Dill said:
Plus Osage is regional tree correct? I don't think it grows up here. But people I know from Indiana swear by it. I've heard it can also go stump to stove like ash.

Osage is native to Texas and parts of Oklahoma I believe. It has an interesting history of uses and many different regional names.
The seeds were highly sought after at one time (late 1800s I think). I think it's been planted in almost every state. I've read that Osage was the inspiration for barbed wire.

Every time my buddy from down the road comes over, he tells me about some new, huge Osage he found on his land just to watch me drool. We're going to start cutting them down soon.

derecskey said:
I don't know that I'd deliberately plant an Osage Orange tree, or a Monkeyball tree as they're called here. Those suckers are a royal pain when they drop large nasty fruit into the road. Wouldn't want them in my yard.

You could get a male tree - only the females bear fruit.

I have not druthers so my choice is other.

I will take it if it burns. I scrounge and thus have to be open to any/all varieties.

From cutting, to splitting, to seasoning, to availability, to burning in all three seasons I burn in - ASH would be the wood for me.

Bigg_Redd said:
Wow. . .look at all the west coast trees on that list!
Ya I call it the Beverly Hills snob list. Pine does me just fine. Any one can heat a house down south with hardwood. STIR, STIR, :p

Anybody can heat a house up north with pine and a stove in every room :p

I have no preference I burnt most of it and never had any problems with any of it.
I have heated with pine and cottonwood in MT and with most of the hardwoods here in MO

This will be my first year burning wood to heat the house,since I got a late start I will and all ready started burning elm because it is easiest to find that has been dried out,was able to harvest 4 full cord from dead trees since August,seems to work fine.

I also have been able to scrounge just about every wood on the list but most is green so will be next year before I will be a better judge of wood varieties.

Jeff

I don't think I've ever seen or burned Osage Orange, but would like to try it out. There is a higher BTU wood than OO, Live Oak comes in at 37 mil BTU's per cord. Thing is, it only grows south of the Mason Dixon line. I like the Red Oaks for best all round firewood. Easy to split and burns long and hot.

crazy_dan said:
Anybody can heat a house up north with pine and a stove in every room...

We don't need a lot of stoves, we just need a lot of Pine. And we get along just fine. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.