If you use 5 gallon buckets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eng5ive

Oct 3, 2015
Just thought I'd post this since it's been helpful for me. If you use a 5 gallon bucket to load/ transfer pellets I came across this thing on Amazon that's super helpful.

It snaps onto the inside of a 5 gallon bucket and makes the pouring of pellets way less messy.

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_162505.jpg
    IMG_20191220_162505.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 132
I use a metal coal bucket works great for 20 years
coal-hod-black-fireplace-accessory-c-1704.jpg

Reactions: pete7713
I use a grain scoop or just an old cup or bowl. Only time I scoop is if I can't lift the bag anyway.

Cut the bottom off of a 1 gallon plastic milk jug. It makes a dandy scoop.

I just put the bag in the hopper and cut it open, pull the bag out :)
That's the way I used to do it too, except I opened the bag first. Still, not everyone can heft a 40# bag and hold it in place.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
If I know it will take a full bag I rip the top open and dump it in. It’s nice my hopper was designed with ridges at the full bag and half bag levels.

Though sometimes in the back of my mind I think about debris in the bag. Knock on wood none so far.

I use an old antique chamber pot with holes cut in the bottom. It has a terrible stench and pellets run out everywhere when it’s filled, but it’s easier than using an old sock.

Reactions: Ssyko
I use an old antique chamber pot with holes cut in the bottom. It has a terrible stench and pellets run out everywhere when it’s filled, but it’s easier than using an old sock.

Manly i just spewed coffee all over the desk after reading that. lmao

Have to love a discussion forum, a guy makes a post for those that use 5 gallon buckets, and you get a bunch of posts from people that do not use 5 gallon buckets.

Have to love a discussion forum, a guy makes a post for those that use 5 gallon buckets, and you get a bunch of posts from people that do not use 5 gallon buckets.
That is the beauty and essence of this remarkable thing we call the internet. Before the internet there was the proliferous 5 gallon plastic bucket. You had one choice for storage and containment, the 5 gallon bucket. Today through the marvel of the internet, you have multiple choices for containmen, storage and distribution. Our family chooses the chamber pot. This multi purposeful container is one of the internet’s best kept secrets. They are readily available for a pittance and serve all of our containmen, storage, cooking and delivery needs. Wether it’s food, clothing, water, milk or pellet, the old chamber pots are up for the task. My cousins last two children were baptized in an English Victorian Duke’s chamber pot. If you do decide to get on the chamber pot band wagon, don’t try to clean or restore the finish. It ruins the potential collectors value. Just rinse with cold water and use as they come in full glory.