Ignorance is bliss.....Now what!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drb0587

Jul 12, 2011
NJ, USA
Previously posted on my current situation here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/advice-needed-on-wall-thimble.86489/

I decided to go ahead and open up the wall around the existing thimble and confirmed my fears....combustibles way too close. Looks like the brick hearth went over wood paneling (super trendy) and dry wall. Additionally, there are wooden wall studs a few inches to the right of the thimble and another a little bit farther to the left. To top it all off electrical wiring is passing through the studs (most likely to an outlet to the right of the hearth).
IMG_4206.jpgIMG_4208.jpgIMG_4211.jpgIMG_4211.jpgIMG_4215.jpg

What can I do to make this thimble compliant? Will the studs have to be moved or replaced with a non-combustible? Any advice or is it time to call in the pros?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.