I'm addicted?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thunderhead

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2019
Seattle - Eastside Foothills
New to the game. Getting a stove installed soon in our new house and ive got a good stash going already for next winter(hopefully it will be dry enough by then). Wife is like "its DARK! Stop splitting by headlamp and come in for dinner!". Also, I hate winter time. Can we do daylight savings time forever? More wood splitting time!

Welcome to the never ending obsession. It is definitely habit forming. I have over 15 cord CSS (3+ years) and I'm still looking for more. I frequently catch myself drifting off the road while scouting for dead/down trees. My wife has stopped asking if I'm done.

I love stockpiling firewood. I have about 3years worth split and stacked and at least another years worth stacked up still in the round. My wife also gets on my case when keep taking up more yard space for woodpiles.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Spent the last two days cutting, splitting, and stacking. At least three years ahead. Maybe more. But just can’t turn it down. Buddy is cutting down five red oaks this winter. No idea where I’m putting it, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out!!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Processing wood is one of my most favorite "jobs." I enjoy doing it. It's something I can do quite easily and not mess up. And it rewards me in the end as I can see the direct result of my hard work with heat -- in fact it's quite measurable as I can look at the work and say "Ah, that would be a week's worth of heat."

And yes . . . like you . . . I wish we could have Daylight Savings Time year round. I absolutely hate this time of year. The leaves are down and the landscape here is gray, brown and so bleak. I wake up in the morning in the dark to get ready for work . . . and by the time I get home around 5 it's either dark or within minutes of going dark. I find myself wanting to crawl into bed by 7 or 8 on some nights. It doesn't help that Maine is on the far side of the Eastern Standard Time. Sometimes I wish we were in the Atlantic Time Zone with our Canadian neighbors in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

Splitting wood in the dark....yes you probably are addicted. Are you alone.....no. I like to hand split a majority of my wood in winter as it is one of the few things i can do in winter temps and not freeze to death and still enjoy being outside. And yea the fall back time change sucks.

My fiance often says I'm addicted. I don't stock a ton of wood. Actually I don't even have an insert or stove. Just an open fireplace. But anytime I see wood I say "look at that wood". I often am making small trips to pick up wood I have seen on the road or checking craigslist. I love having fires and wood is expensive. I also enjoy being outside splitting. I probably wouldn't be splitting out in the dark in freezing temps though LOL.

Looks a little like my basement But its dry and warm
just like the firewood