I am a wood addict

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
“Hi my name is Matt and I am a wood addict.” “Hi, Matt”
I have been looking to score free wood for months now, ever since I knew a wood stove was in the near future. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told my wife “this is the last load, we have enough” and then I end up getting more. I am compelled. We had a big storm here lately. My daughter and I , while the power was out, we’re wondering how many trees were down (that we could use for firewood). I have dropped loads of wood on my property where my wife can’t see it.
The first step is admitting the problem. The next is splitting it and getting it off the ground 😎

8088AE4A-6F63-4C02-8D24-A3FE897D9550.jpeg

I have a lot of hobbies my wife doesn’t understand/approve of. Including firewood hoarding. And I always tell her “ hey it’s better than doing hard drugs”. She doesn’t think that’s funny:)

You’re in good company here. Some of these guys have 20-30 full cords stashed. Or more.

Planning ahead is key in wood burning, as it needs 6 months to 3 years to season, depending on the type of tree. The slightly compulsive person will probably have a warmer home with a cleaner stovepipe effluent.

In a power outage you may be the one offering neighbors free, dry wood.

This is me in 90+ heat on friday, I drank almost a gallon of water and sweated most of it out. Wife came out yelling, you are going to pass out if you dont stop 😂 . Canopy barely helped

splitshady.jpg

Last edited:
That’s why I split my firewood at night after the kids go to bed ;)
My neighbors live so far away I don’t feel bad about splitting wood until 10pm.

Good idea about the canopy though.

Reactions: Bobbob and boomfire
This is me in 90+ heat on friday, I drank almost a gallon of water and sweated most of it out. Wife came out yelling, you are going to pass out if you dont stop 😂 . Canopy barely helped

View attachment 297303
Yeah I took three showers yesterday. Couldn’t stay away from the pile all day. I see the size of those rounds you got there! Nice! The way I see it it is great exercise ! Nice work!

Reactions: boomfire
That’s why I split my firewood at night after the kids go to bed ;)
My neighbors live so far away I don’t feel bad about splitting wood until 10pm.

Good idea about the canopy though.
I'm the 430A wakeup and split guy before it heats up. No neighbors around, anyway!

Reactions: Bobbob and DonTee
I'm 7yrs ahead currently. I just bought a bigger saw. The neighbor cuts and splits in July. He waits for the hottest day of the year, at the warmest part of the day, then stores it inside in a shed. Maybe he thinks his oak cooks faster that way, ready for the coming winter. I like to have the lights on and snow blowing in October-December, the darkest time of the year.

Lol. My neighbor across the street does the same thing. We’ve had some 90 degree days here in upstate NY, and I noticed my neighbor across the street cutting and splitting some wood from a log pile he’s had for 6 months. So he picked some of the hottest days of the summer to prepare his firewood for winter.

Eventually, the novelty wears off. About 11 years and 140 cords since buying a pair of wood stoves, I no longer get excited about downed trees or free wood. I guess it's like shaving, or the first time dad let you run the lawnmower, the excitement doesn't last.

That said, I still enjoy the work on a cool fall day, or even when it's dry in winter. But I don't jump to split wood in July, anymore.

I work at a computer. I like any work outside. I'm ahead though, to the point that I don't have place to store more wood, so this year I didn't process any wood. But next February and March I'll be processing my 3 cords for '25-'26. Not in July...

Reactions: Bobbob
My neighbor is also the same kind of guy that mows his lawn right after it rains all day and night. So maybe good timing just isn’t his thing.

Lol. My timing is bad too; the last 1/3 of.my mowing is always during rain- I try to mow before but I'm always late 😝

It’s so satisfying to have a freshly cut lawn right after a hard rain.

I hate long grass after it rains.

“Hi my name is Matt and I am a wood addict.” “Hi, Matt”
I have been looking to score free wood for months now, ever since I knew a wood stove was in the near future. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told my wife “this is the last load, we have enough” and then I end up getting more. I am compelled. We had a big storm here lately. My daughter and I , while the power was out, we’re wondering how many trees were down (that we could use for firewood). I have dropped loads of wood on my property where my wife can’t see it.
The first step is admitting the problem. The next is splitting it and getting it off the ground 😎

View attachment 297269
I see open areas, you don't have a problem yet! Nice work.👍

I 100% prefer to process wood when it's cold out. I don't get as hot, the wood splits easier, and I have a place to put it from the wood I've been burning. Best time of the year is Feb/March for me. Once it gets over 70 it becomes torture.

Reactions: stoveliker
I grabbed another 3 rounds today. I have materials now to stack off the ground this weekend, so I’ll be looking to clean up. There is plenty of oak still on the site and the property manager called me asking for help to take it all. I might just split all of it by hand and donate it perhaps if I can’t make it fit. I’m enjoying the exercise.

Reactions: stoveliker
You can always fit a little more somewhere! My wife just rolls her eyes at me at this point and knows I'll find a spot. She teases me but she likes being toasty warm in the winter. ;)

I grabbed another 3 rounds today. I have materials now to stack off the ground this weekend, so I’ll be looking to clean up. There is plenty of oak still on the site and the property manager called me asking for help to take it all. I might just split all of it by hand and donate it perhaps if I can’t make it fit. I’m enjoying the exercise.
There is always room for Oak. (The King)