I'm Back!! in the Pellet burning club. For my p38+ Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayttt

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
poconos pa
I am Pellet burning again. The year before last I broke my pellet stove by running it on a generator and then overloading the generator enough to brown out the pellet stove (Had forgotten it was even running then).
Well I didn't have enough money to get it fixed, and because of finances I ended up having to use my hot air furnace last year...It ended up costing me $1300.00 in fuel oil. So I started saving to have money to get it fixed.
I called the place I bought it from to have it fixed and unsurprisingly there was a month long lead time to get a technician out to get it fixed...its End of September..go figure ;) ...
I was still using up the last of the fuel oil for the last 2 weeks and..it sucked the fuel oil tank dry.
I guess it was time to fix the stove if I can.. I'm an Electronics tech and have worked with 120VAC power for years so I would be able to read the wiring diagram etc...had their been one available.
Trouble Is I have a Harmon and they don't make parts or schematics available to anyone except certified Harman dealers.
I browsed here onto the Hearth's Pellet Mill to start finding info on ways to fix it. While searching here I see an Ad for Pellet Stove parts Parts for Harmans and others...
I had already determined that my PcBoard in my Harmon is burnt up.. Brown outs do that.
I removed the board previously when it died to check the fuse and it was fine. There were no other fuses inside the stove that I could see. My Pc Board for the stove is no longer made I see from thne Ad. and if I want to get a replacement for it, it has to be replaced with the newer model PC Board. It happens that the the new board comes with a Kit to install it ..including a new wiring harness for the Board. The old one had a ton of wires, all going to spade lugs.

I ordered the kit and it had a fairly good instruction sheet with pictures included. The only thing I needed was in the way of tools.. I needed metal aviation snips( tin snips) to cut the hole out for the new board. Thaat was the part I was most weary of doing..but it turned out very ok. It good that it was my stove and Im not doing it for someone else,,,My tin snipping abilities were not great. But it worked.
I then had to follow the Wiring diagram to wire in the new PCBoard. Very tine and hard to see...But Magnifying Glasses are needed at my age now for anything smaller than a package of Steamed vegitables.
Redoing the Plug and rewiring was pretty simple really...they had replacement lugs for a few of the built in wiring ,,instructions said replace the male plug with a female plug..using the included Female lug.
All I can say is Harman is great. After seeing how it was built and to what degree their installation kit went towards towards doing the job was great, inside the stove it had 3 main sections ..the Distribution blower
and it had a line cord attached..and on the end of it were the 3 lugs for ground, neutral and power . they plug write in the harness wiring...It could not have been any easier.
So after a few hours of work on my living room floor for me and my Parrot who insists on helping in every task that needs to be done. So after he bit the instructions a few times We got it done and I held my breath and plugged it in, No booms or smoke or anything. The New PCBoard turned on and it has a status lite blinking 3 blinks saying my ESP wasn't working. The plug for it turned out to kind of fell apart when I plugged it in. I reseated the wires back inside of the plug..replugged it in..and it held. I turned it back on and
all lights apear to be working the all motors were working..new board had lights on each of the 3 sections and their status.. So I put my pellet stove back in place..and poured some pellets in the burn pot and started a fire.
And then sat there nervously waiting for 'Proof of Fire' by means of auger coming on and pushing pellets ..I swear its taking long minutes to get there and it felt like it was 10 minutes and then boom The auger turns on and its pushing pellets and few minutes later the distribution fan turns on and I know then that all is good and I'm back into the Pellet heat club.
Now the Point of all this blathering on about a pellet stove and my own self grandizing story is...
IF you can afford it ...buy a Harmon. They do (Most) things right.

Now I need to cancel my Repair appointment.

Reactions: iron stove
How painfull was the repair? Have not seen a p38 for sale here abouts but if the opportunity arises would use it instead of an old whit to heat a green house next spring.

All said and done...buying $70 bucks in tools..it cost me about $300 and because I had the time and really did it slowly making double and triple sure of each step I did..it too me about 8 hours of labor..a tech on site who's experienced would probably take 2 hours.

Wow, Good work!

I have installed a few Auto Ignition kits in Harman P61 stoves.

Did you put that in? What kit did you install? How much was it?

Good luck and glad to hear your pellets are burning once again!

Thanks for the GREAT story RAYTTT ;ex

My brother is looking at a used 38, I should be seeing it this week. Talking with another member here about the control boards, and im so glad to hear how if the need arises, we can still FIX some things made here in America if the need arises !

All said and done...buying $70 bucks in tools..it cost me about $300 and because I had the time and really did it slowly making double and triple sure of each step I did..it too me about 8 hours of labor..a tech on site who's experienced would probably take 2 hours.
The time you spent is not at all lost as you will have a intimate knowledge of the stove should something act up. You would not have got that from having someone else do it for you. That $300 is probably only $100 less than a what it would cost to have a pro come and clean the system. Probably gives the ego a good boost too. Good job, good luck:)

Reactions: herdfan2003
Great job! Welcome back!

The time you spent is not at all lost as you will have a intimate knowledge of the stove should something act up. You would not have got that from having someone else do it for you.

The knowledge of the stove is invaluable, especially in the dead of winter if it decides to crap out.
Now, what parts are you going to keep on hand for emergencies?

Bill

Wow, Good work!

I have installed a few Auto Ignition kits in Harman P61 stoves.

Did you put that in? What kit did you install? How much was it?

Good luck and glad to hear your pellets are burning once again!

I didn't install any kind of autoignition. Im quite ok with Manual ignition.
This time of year its a bit of a pain..starting the stove at night...shutting off in morning..
But in a few weeks when its cold enough to run all day also..then I just light it once and
it keeps running for a few weeks to a month before I have to shut it down to clean out ash tray.
I've never worried about having an autoignition.
The Kit was just an upgrade to the PCBoard. The Upgrade kit from Harman is 1-00-7738111-ND partnumber.
It comes with a new wiring harness and a New PCBoard and drilling templete.
Some Tin snip's are needed to cut the steel to allow room for the bigger board to fit.
All in all very easily done (Im an experienced Electronic's tech). It cost me $225.00 to get the kit (plus $10 bucks or so for shipping).

That was a good price for a nice newer control panel.
Looks like you did very well. Good luck and welcome back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.