1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I've got mine well trained :p , there is so much pollin out now we keep it all closed up no matter what the temp is until later in the season........then it's too warm. Having the wood stove in the LR makes shoulder season nice, Aspen, 2x4's, cardboard, and bark, nice quick clean heat.

TS

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hiker88

hiker88 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I needed to make some hot water last night, but since it was 66 in the house and damp with all the rain lately, we cranked the heat up to 70.

I'm trying to get an idea of how long I can go between fires for dhw only, but I've had to turn the heat on in our basement family room at least once every batch since the real "heating season" ended. Maybe by mid June I'll have a better idea.
  3. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    I use to burn oil...1/ gallon a day? wow maybe look into a heat pump HW heater...I love mine()
  4. KenLockett

KenLockett Member

Loc:
    Eastern Upstate NY
    If the basement humidity is kept between 30-40% during summer, do you guys see any need to run a lamp in the firebox and/or run a lamp for a while then seal off the flue to prevent moisture. Didn't do anything last summer and don't think I saw any sign of condensation or rust off season.
  5. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I'd say if you don't see any condensation, don't worry about it. Even if the humidity is high, as long as the boiler temp is the same or slightly warmer (light bulb) you will not have water vapor condense onto the steel.

TS