Im done!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
got all of my wood split and stacked! Im done for the summer, splitting in 85* weather takes all the joy out of the work.

Hows your stacks coming along?

Remmy122 said:
got all of my wood split and stacked! Im done for the summer, splitting in 85* weather takes all the joy out of the work.

Hows your stacks coming along?

Congrats! That is a good feeling! I have about 5-6 cord to feel, buck, split and stack. I'm pretty far ahead on wood, so I'm thinking about waiting till the fall to do the work - not thrilled with the idea o working in the heat + bugs. I'm just shy of 20 cord right now (I think), so no worries waiting till fall. Cheers!

Splitting is done but still have not stacked any of it. Still, this wood is for the 2015-2016 winter so we are not pressed for time. It has been a bit wet lately so I'll be waiting a bit more before stacking begins. But, I've stacked wood before during mosquito season, thanks to the Thermacell.

Slowly getting there. Most of what I'm doing now is cleaning up deadfall,dropping some snags & when it dries out a bit more will start hauling it in from the field.Hope to be done with this section in a month at the latest.Dont do anything in the woods past May if I can avoid it.90 degrees with matching humidity,waist-high grass/weeds,multiflora rose,wild gooseberry/raspberry bushes,stinging nettle,poison ivy,ticks & mosquitos arent my idea of a good time. ;-P Then once it cools off in mid -late September will start in again.

I'm about 18 months ahead. But the snow just melted away from the new 60,000lb pile. Will hit it in about a 2 weeks when the ground dries up enough so I'm not workin' in mud.

I was done until my son's neighbor had a large white ash and some big limbs from a pin oak taken down and ask if we wanted the wood? :bug: I just can't turn it down when it is that easy. Now I have more splitting and stacking to do. %-P

Attachments

• Dougs neighbor wood.jpg
    Dougs neighbor wood.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 438
Been moving seven cord up the hill with the garden tractor and trailer into the shed for the next two years burning. Don't worry Dennis, it has been split and drying for three years. Didn't get a stick cut last year. Two huge white oaks are awaiting down in the woods so if I get them bucked and up here over the summer I will split them in the fall and that along with the 3/4 cord of red oak split and stacked three weeks ago will take care of year three.

I'll be cutting on and off all summer and fall whenever I can make time and the weather permits. Im not scared of a few bugs and some poison ivy. Still have lots to do. It's all white ash so seasoning won't take long.

I say Im done, but if the wood falls in my lap Ill take it! That and Ill be getting a new saw soon..... and we all know that its not going to let me wait till the fall.

I have a about 3/4 cord worth bucked, will split and stack that this wknd which will put me over the 20 cord mark. After that I'm gonna move into summer scrounge mode - which for me means I'll take it if its easy or good pickings but I'm not pushing hard. It gets bucked/split and stacked w/no sense or urgency until falls rolls around.

Well considering that yesterday was the first day since the Fall that I have gone 24 hours without burning . . . I haven't done much.

First order of business will be moving my stack of seasoned wood into the woodshed . . . and then I'll be heading back into the woods to get out the wood I bucked up last Fall . . . haul it home, split and stack it . . . I haven't really started work at all . . . of course this will be wood that I will be burning in 2013-2014 . . . possibly 2014-2015.

We're still waiting for the weather to change so we can bring down the neighbor's trees. I'm seriously thinking about buying a cord just to be safe next year and start my piling for the years to follow. I can get my hands on some dead trees to cut, and will likely do so, but don't want to have to worry about wet wood.

fv

'11-'12 done since fall of '09, '12-'13 done. Just about 1 1/3 cord left in the shed. FINALLY will be a full 2 years mostly dry on the oak. Still finding a little sizzle in the stuff done summer of '09.
Power co. will have a crew coming this summer to take down a nice big white pine, a couple Spruce, and at least one soft maple. Those will keep me busy for a bit, and depending on the timeframe, the pine and spruce may be somewhat usable this coming winter.
When I move the wood from the field stacks to the woodshed this fall, the rest of the oak logs will get c/s/s to backfill that for '13-'14. If I can find the time, I need to get to my sis-in-laws to work on her woodlot that's full of dead/down oak and maple. She also has a bunch of downed pine and popple in the front of the house I'd like to get to.
I'll make sure she has plenty for winter of '12, then start pulling some for me.
She bought a little 14" poulan and has never used a saw, so this should be interesting. She IS quite the diy'er though.

fireview2788 said:
We're still waiting for the weather to change so we can bring down the neighbor's trees. I'm seriously thinking about buying a cord just to be safe next year and start my piling for the years to follow. I can get my hands on some dead trees to cut, and will likely do so, but don't want to have to worry about wet wood.

fv
I ALMOST did that the first year here, but thought, "nah, that's crazy". Lesson learned.
If you've got the means, DO IT. Do it NOW. You'll be glad you did.

BrotherBart said:
Been moving seven cord up the hill with the garden tractor and trailer into the shed for the next two years burning. Don't worry Dennis, it has been split and drying for three years. Didn't get a stick cut last year. Two huge white oaks are awaiting down in the woods so if I get them bucked and up here over the summer I will split them in the fall and that along with the 3/4 cord of red oak split and stacked three weeks ago will take care of year three.

That's worth at least one atta boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.