I'm finding it hard to believe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stoveguy2esw said:
not yet , holding off til i get my newest addition installed, putting in our new 25-pah likley this weekend, gonna wring it out this winter, hoping for a long cold one so i can put this new beast through its paces

And the guys in the pellet room questioned that he PAH was real. When will they learn. When will they ever learn?

i lit it off today. right now it's 40 degrees. i'm amazed. the primary stove is all taken apart. so i lit up the old hearthstone 2 in the basement. running high for that stove 650. it's heating the unfinished side of the basement, the finished side of the basement and the main house upstairs. brought the house (far end) from 61 to 68 and still going. all from about 2:00 pm

got to love the smell of cherry

OK, here's proof the wood stoves are a good investment, even this time of the year.

I walked through the door last night (Thursday) and wife looks at me with with puppy eyes and her arms wrapped around her in a sweatshirt. I asked why so sad, she says she’s been cold all day. Ok, it’s 62 in the house so I started a small fire around 5:30PM to take the chill off. I take my daughter to soccer practice and I come home at 7:00PM and it’s 80 degrees. Not bad for two small splits and some wood scraps from splitting and a good size split once the kindling got going.

Now, here some data that really shows something.

Thursday AM outdoor temp at 6:00AM - 41 degrees, indoor temp 61 degrees. - No fire the night before.
Friday AM outdoor temp at 6:00AM - 41 degrees, indoor temp 68 degrees - a small fire the night before.

Here's the kicker, the stove was reduced to just a small bed of coals around 10:00PM and it maintained enough heat throughout the night. I touched the brick hearth above the stove this morning at 6:00AM and it was still warm.

Three pieces of wood and a happy wife and kids, priceless :)

Big temp' swings up in the mntns are normal. One still feels it, but it isn't a surprise. When the sun is up, it warms up quickly. When the sun sets, it cools quickly. In summer, it is not uncommon to wake to 50 F. at dawn and see it hit 90 F. by noon, drop to 65 shortly after sundown. It catches tourist hikers who leave on a day walk and it's hot and they don't take a jacket or etc. Or the clouds blow in in afternoon and the temp' drops forty degrees, the wind comes up, it sprinkles a bit, and they are hypothermic in short time. Then the clouds move on and it's 90 F. again. Thin air.....

greythorn3 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Just came back from hunting this morning. Almost tested my frosticles out there! Was in the 20's this morning and hasn't warmed much yet.

where you at in michigan? u by gaylord?

We used to live by Gaylord, now we are south of there. Were you from there too?

I can't fire up the stove until the wife stops using using it as a table for all her stuff. It was 60 int he house this morning. Not cold enough quite yet to get her to move her stuff. But being that it doesn't look like the sun will be shining any day soon to warm up the house.

Best thing we ever bought was a dual zone heated mattress pad. She cranks hers up so high that if I accidentally roll over in the night I have to bandage up 3rd degree burns in the morning. (I'm joking, of course, but I seriously will wake up in the night and realize that my whole arm is just drenched in sweat, yet the rest of me is fine!)

we've had the heated blankets, but the mattress pad is just wayyy nicer because it stays put. I sweat all year round, so i don't usually turn mine on unless it's unusually cold, even then it's just to get the bed warm before i get in.

As far as getting her to snuggle up to me, I don't allow that because i'm usually dying from the heat, I do allow her to press her cold feet up against me, though, we both consider that a win-win situation.

Danno77 said:
As far as getting her to snuggle up to me, I don't allow that because i'm usually dying from the heat, I do allow her to press her cold feet up against me, though, we both consider that a win-win situation.

Hmm, sounds sort of like this. I had the wood stove going last night to take the "chill" off while watching TV. Wifey wanted the warmth. We still have the window air conditioner in bedroom going at night. Wifey again wanting the cool bedroom. Something wrong there. On one level where adding heat, the other level we're try to cool down. Woman... :-S

CowboyAndy said:
i have kids, youngest is 3... i dont think its fair to someone who naturally cant keep a blanket on her to have to sleep in a 60* house...
Blimey, 60F is not cold. When I was a kid we had to wait until it was in the low 40's before we had any heat.

As for the 3 year old problem my kids slept in a sleep sack (kind of like a piece of clothing) until they learnt to control the blankets.

BTW, still far to warm here for a fire. It peaked at 85 degrees today.

Off and on, 12 wooden pallets gathered up all summer perfect for those shoulder season flash fires. Wife complained the other night it was too hot in here! Tonight mid 50's overnight, last night 41. I like this season because it's many small fires instead of the load and check every 10 minutes with nothing to do but poke around with the laser thermometer.

stejus said:
Danno77 said:

Hmm, sounds sort of like this. I had the wood stove going last night to take the "chill" off while watching TV. Wifey wanted the warmth. We still have the window air conditioner in bedroom going at night. Wifey again wanting the cool bedroom. Something wrong there. On one level where adding heat, the other level we're try to cool down. Woman... :-S

watch out opening your bedroom door, you might spark off a thunder storm :p

stejus said:
Danno77 said:

While your work may have gone 1/2 to waste, if she was satisfied, it would be more than well worth it!

pen

Been hovering around the freezing mark for the last week. 25F overnight. Stoves in long burn mode cruising at a whopping 375F. 400F above the cat. :ahhh: As we speak. Just perfect for the shoulder seasons.
N of 60

[quote author="north of 60" date="1254560862"]Been hovering around the freezing mark for the last week. 25F overnight. Stoves in long burn mode cruising at a whopping 375F. 400F above the cat. :ahhh: As we speak. Just perfect for the shoulder seasons.
N of 60[/quote

Pretty much the same here of late, but not quite that low at night.....this week. Last two weeks we had many freezing nights, followed by a blanket of the white stuff one morning.

The stove was loaded to the gills a few hours ago, now its just cruisin'. I just crack a window or two if I begin to doze off. Not having the boiler running keeps the $5 a gallon heating fuel delivery thief away.

You guys should spend a little dough on insulating your homes. You all must have piss poor insulation to be using heat/stoves already. Its 58 and overcast, rainy etc here and im in shorts and my house is at 72! No need to waste time with that damn stove yet.

Michael6268 said:
You guys should spend a little dough on insulating your homes. You all must have piss poor insulation to be using heat/stoves already. Its 58 and overcast, rainy etc here and im in shorts and my house is at 72! No need to waste time with that damn stove yet.

C,mon up and bring your house with ya. :coolgrin:

Danno77 said:
Best thing we ever bought was a dual zone heated mattress pad. She cranks hers up so high that if I accidentally roll over in the night I have to bandage up 3rd degree burns in the morning. (I'm joking, of course, but I seriously will wake up in the night and realize that my whole arm is just drenched in sweat, yet the rest of me is fine!)

we've had the heated blankets, but the mattress pad is just wayyy nicer because it stays put. I sweat all year round, so i don't usually turn mine on unless it's unusually cold, even then it's just to get the bed warm before i get in.

Hah, you just described my situation to a 'T'.

Michael6268 said:

And your magic number for outside temperature when you light off your wood stove is...???

We (the members here) live in lots of different latitudes, altitudes, and climate zones. We have different homes, with different thermal characteristics, and different exposures to the elements and different heat gain/loss patterns. We (all people) have our own personal comfort tolerances for temperature/humidity conditions. It makes perfect sense to me that folks posting here would be reporting their "onset of seasonal burning" at different times of the season. I live in central Oregon high desert country, and I've been burning off and on for a few days now. We're getting below freezing at night, and struggling to see high 50's during the day. If you check out the seasonal averages, you'll see that my area is pretty much tracking right along:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...graph/USOR0031?from=tenDay_bottomnav_business

That page is cool, because if you drop down the menu where it says "Monthly Averages", you can put in another zip code to compare the two. I just lit up the Lopi again this afternoon. My shop stove's been burning for most of the morning so far. Stay warm. Rick

For me it seems when the highs are in the 50's I need a small fire in the evening to keep the house temp up above 70. Besides the stove is in the basement and it gets a little cooler down there. I have lots of junk wood to burn like punky or short cut Pine, Boxelder and Elm which needs to be burned to make room for more.

My house is completely surrounded by 70+ foot trees so while the leaves are still on a fifty degree night can put the chill to this well insulated place that doesn't go away in the downstairs until almost sundown. Then the whole thing starts over. Great in the summer, a challenge in cool and cold weather.

And no, I haven't lit a fire in the stove yet. We had a 75 degree day today down to fifty tonight. I will let the space heater down stairs deal with it and pay the Electricity Gods their due.

Michael6268 said:

Poor insulation? My house won't see seventy again till late next spring.
Care to donate more than an arrogant attitude? Send cash, I'll insulate.
P.S.- You shouldn't where shorts. You have skinny legs. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.