I'm getting SAD again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
precaud said:
I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, eat junk food - so this one addiction should be ok, no? :)

"Wood stove addiction--at least it's not crack!"

Out with the old, and in with the.... older. The Quad comes down and Tile Fire goes in to see how it stands up against it.

One factor that allows me to move stoves in and out of my install fairly easily, is that the hearth is a massive concrete pouring, about 6 ft wide. 3.5 ft deep, and 10 feet thick, will handle however much weight you want to put on it, and has plenty of space to park two stoves at once while moving them on/off the dolly. Otherwise this would be a royal pain.

Further Kent Tile Fire details will be posted in this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66723/

Attachments

• hearth1.jpg
    hearth1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 256
Thanks for the photo, and the stove-a-log.

I like your versatile hearth, and plan to follow suit. That's a handsome, robust setup. Did you do it, or was it already there?

Thanks George. I tore out a huge btu-sucking fireplace that was there and built what you see. The hearth floor was there, it's poured clear through to the basement - massive. Wish I'd been more imaginative with the choice of brick, but it was my first major masonry project and I was focussed on doing the basics well...

You're going to need some mass to support a BKK, that's for sure...

Great looking stove. By the way I lived in Bernillio for a year worked in Albuquerque. Beautiful country. Let us know how well it heats. Do you live in an adobe? They really hold the heat.

precaud said:
Thanks George. I tore out a huge btu-sucking fireplace that was there and built what you see. The hearth floor was there, it's poured clear through to the basement - massive. Wish I'd been more imaginative with the choice of brick, but it was my first major masonry project and I was focussed on doing the basics well...

You're going to need some mass to support a BKK, that's for sure...

Yeah, agreed.

Since I don't already have solid concrete, I'm going to go with a fireproof floor (metal studs, rock wool, Durock) with the studs run perpendicular to the existing joists. By making it big, strong, and fireproof, I'm hoping to be able to run whatever stove I please without alteration. (fingers crossed) :)

I think your brickwork is handsome, and if your greatest regret is being too conservative I think you're doing great.

Thanks for the kind words. There's always an element of insecurity when doing something for the first time... :)

Agreed, for this kinda stuff, overbuilding is good. Is yours going on a slab, or over a basement?

precaud said:
Thanks for the kind words. There's always an element of insecurity when doing something for the first time... :)

Agreed, for this kinda stuff, overbuilding is good. Is yours going on a slab, or over a basement?

Understood on the insecurity, but no need. I was going to ask if you had a professional do it. I'm sure you know where all the flaws are, but it looks great to the rest of us.

I'm putting a 4' by 10' extension (not a nook :coolsmirk: ) onto my great room for the install, so it's up to me. I'm planning on pouring a new foundation wall on the perimeter, and building on top of that. After your post, I was considering just filling with concrete up to floor level for all concrete like yours, but decided not too because it would make running ductwork, OAK, etc. more difficult, and perhaps not be as well insulated, being an outside wall.

But I gotta admit, having *no* hearth worries, like with your setup, would be great.

Thanks so much for uploading Kent Tile Fire manual and brochure, Precaud. I need to complete my tile/bracket restore.

That's quite a project, George. Sounds like you're comfortable doing that sort of building. Do keep us posted as it progresses.

You're welcome, Doug. Any more questions, just holler. You're going to like that stove, I bet. I'm back burning the Quad, but must say, I miss the fast warmup and incredible heat distribution of the Tile Fire convection. It put more heat into my home more quickly than the Quad does. Really quite amazing.

I too love the Tile fire, having installed one in the mid 80's. That stove was the only stove I ever saw where the glass stayed mostly clean, the only one that you could dial in to the perfect temperature, and the only one that was still burning in the AM for easy start up. So I decided to see if I could track one down about two weeks ago. Lo and behold a fella not more than 5 miles away answers my plea, saying he had one for sale. Apparently his wife wanted something better looking. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, but then again I always have been a form follows function type of guy. I Personally can not imagine a stove that is better suited to change than the tile fire. You dont like the looks, change the tiles. Oh well, their loss became my gain for a price I am reluctant to mention for fear of being picked up by the gendarmes for thievery.

The only drawback to this episode is that I pulled a muscle in my back loading the stove into my truck. To that end I can absolutely attest to the fact that the
firebox is 1/4 inch plate steel. This is one heavy little stove. A stove that I absolutely love to sit in front of with a single malt on the rocks and watch the flames dance. For medicinal purpose only, of course.

Congrats on the great find, jagans, I hope you back is feeling better. The glass does stay remarkably clean on these stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.