I'm going crazy with anxiety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Terrifiedmoose

Dec 16, 2020
Houston, Tx
Little back story, canadian moved to Texas when teen. Forgot how to use wood stove terrified of burning house down with over fire.

Yea that's pretty much it. That temp gauge just jumps so fast and I try to smother it to get that temp down but I'm just absolutely losing my mind with anxiety of a fire, well an unintentional fire. It jumps into that over fire and my mind just goes into panic. Please help calm my nerves and give me some good info to repeat to myself.

What stove are you running? Where is the thermometer located? Some chimney/ flue details would help as well.

In short, only use a wood stove set up that is code and manufacturer compliant. Maintain required clearances from combustibles. Follow manual instructions.
Perhaps wood burning may not be for you at this time. No shame in that. I always though it would be really fun to surf but would never try bc of the thought of sharks.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
@Terrifiedmoose
I understand your anxiety. I have a bit of it myself. Personally I think that, in moderation, fear of what a fire could potentially do keeps me more alert and safer. I think you are on the right track, knowledge is the best salve for fear. You are in the right place. Let’s get started:

You have lots of options here to learn what you need. This may be the best place to start. I wish I had started there when I was in your shoes.

Another great read is HERE.

Before you dive in to those, give us more about detail about:
  • Your stove. Make, model and if you know, how old is it? Most likely someone here has that exact stove and may jump in.
  • About how tall is your flue/chimney from your stove to the cap above your roof?
  • What type of chimney is it? Masonry? Steele pipe? Both?
  • Are there any bends in the stove pipe before it gets to the chimney? If so, how many and how sharp (45 or 90 degree bends)?
  • What is your local temperature range when you are using your stove?
  • What kind of thermometer are you using? Is it magnetic or does it have a probe?
  • Where is your thermometer attached to the stove? On the stove and/or on the stove pipe?
  • What temperature are you getting to?
  • What type of wood are you burning? What size of splits are you loading? Do you know how dry it is?
I’m new to this myself so I’ll help where I can. Others here with much more knowledge than me will be along to help.

I'd suggest starting out by building small fires that you are comfortable with. This will help you gain confidence in your settup. If it really is overfiring it might be caused by excessive draft. You may also want to hire a certified sweep who has eperience installing stoves to take a look and give you some tips.

Last edited:
If your stove was properly installed and you have the correct hearth underneath/ behind it and proper clearance, it's safe to use properly. I have a furnace that mixes oil and air to make hot fire. A bad thing could happen, but that's really rare.
In Maine, most wood stove related fires are caused by removing ashes, putting them in an improper container, then putting that someplace dumb. Get an ash can with a snug lid to put ashes in, store it in a smart place. Mine is on an inverted steel bucket outside. I have removed ashes from what appeared to be a dead fire, spread them on the driveway as grit for ice, and found small live coals, harmless in this use case, but in a paper bag, maybe not.

Have fires in your stove, when you are present, and you'll get accustomed to safe use, as well as the pleasure of a cozy fire.

Reactions: Terrifiedmoose
I see you're in Houston! I lived in Porter, between Humble and Conroe for years!

I'm assuming you have a fireplace? I can't remember many woodstoves in the area. I'd get familiar with the system by building small fires.

Reactions: Terrifiedmoose
[QUOTE
  • Your stove. Make, model and if you know, how old is it? Most likely someone here has that exact stove and may jump in.
  • About how tall is your flue/chimney from your stove to the cap above your roof?
  • What type of chimney is it? Masonry? Steele pipe? Both?
  • Are there any bends in the stove pipe before it gets to the chimney? If so, how many and how sharp (45 or 90 degree bends)?
  • What is your local temperature range when you are using your stove?
  • What kind of thermometer are you using? Is it magnetic or does it have a probe?
  • Where is your thermometer attached to the stove? On the stove and/or on the stove pipe?
  • What temperature are you getting to?
  • What type of wood are you burning? What size of splits are you loading? Do you know how dry it is?
I’m new to this myself so I’ll help where I can. Others here with much more knowledge than me will be along to help.
[/QUOTE]

Ok so it's an alpine cylinder stove, brand new. Got it because we're kinda broke and absolutely needed heat. Single wall cylinder pipe, 14 inches from any wall or floor. 2 90 degree turns out of the wall that is about 3 1/2 foot tall at first turn to go outside. Magnetic temp on stove pipe. Average low is 35-40. Sometimes low as 25. Burning oak, try to stay in optimal temps but sometimes gets all the way to 900 and when it does that it freaks me right the heck out and at that point I'm already damping down the oxygen. After some reading last night I tried the open door trick and that definitely helped. Just can't help the anxiety that comes with just watching it go into overfire

Did the stove come with a manual? I believe this is a stove for a tent camp, not meant to be used in a house. Is the stove set on some type of hearth or cement floor? Minimum clearances for single wall black pipe is 18" from combustibles, basic nfpa rules for a non ul tested sotve is 36" from any combustible materials: walls, ceilings and such.

Your anxiety is well founded and justified. I get that folks gotta do what they have to to survive but the disregard of the manual is dangerous and there is no way to make that situation safe. The manual states in a tent or outside only and 36" away from all combustible materials. You really need to understand the repercussions of not following page 2 of the manual. You are about 1 step removed from just having a burn barrel in your living room.

Part of staying calm is knowing the installation is safe. That will afford more tolerance and safety to newcomer mistakes. Post some pictures of the installation, inside and outside, showing the stove, the flue setup, and the chimney. If you can include a shot of the wood you are burning that may help too. That way the components of the system will get a review.

Little back story, canadian moved to Texas when teen. Forgot how to use wood stove terrified of burning house down with over fire.

Yea that's pretty much it. That temp gauge just jumps so fast and I try to smother it to get that temp down but I'm just absolutely losing my mind with anxiety of a fire, well an unintentional fire. It jumps into that over fire and my mind just goes into panic. Please help calm my nerves and give me some good info to repeat to myself.
Xanex. Or beer if you can control yourself.

I'd be stressing with this set up also, your better taking it down and getting an inexpensive stove in the 800 dollar range. Something that is approved for home or mobile home use. that will last you for a while and then maybe upgrade to a stove with a longer burn time. The object it to burn/heat and be safe while doing it..
For any stove you purchase new or used.... Follow the manual and read the specs regarding installation.... Really.... it is important
Ask yourself what did you save if you burn your house down or even worse hurt a loved one..

Last edited:
If you are on a tight budget this might help you out

Just did a quick search and found several comments that this stove puts out a lot of heat and has short burn times.
Another comment said they put stove gasket on the door.
With those comments, and the fact this is a camp stove( designed to heat wall tents and non insulated cabins) leads me to the stove not being very controllable. Which is why you are seeing those temps.
I am not advocating you continuing to use this stove to heat your residence, however, if you can seal up the door you may be able to better control the temp.

What is scary on these stoves is the Marketing. On Amazon you have to read through the questions and answers or reviews to find out this is not indoor use. On camp chiefs website it does state for "outdoor use" and "tent use" once again in smaller print under Q&A it states "
This has only been certified for outdoor use only in a tent. We would not recommend using in doors."
I see more of these type of products, mini cubic and rocket stoves being put into use especially with more Americans out of work again due to covid.
I appreciate the legislation with the EPA to mandate cleaner burning and more fuel efficient stoves. I think we need some legislation for products like this requiring the manufacturer and retail sellers to state in large visible print "NOT FOR RESIDENTIAL USE" "NOT FOR INDOOR USE"
I wonder if there is a database anywhere tracking house fires by camp type stoves or any other modern non U.L. listed commercially sold stoves.

Terrifiedmoose , we need to see the setup in order to advise further and help you out.

It doesn’t look like that stove is for residential use. I’d also be very concerned about how that single walled pipe is going through the wall.

I would definitely spend some money on a good fire extinguisher if you are going to continue using that stove.

I have a similar model as well that I use I'm my wall tent. They do tend to be uncontrollable. I think a lot of the temp control comes from constant cold air coming through the tent. The chimney on mine isn't marked but it appears that it's just telescoping 4" B vent. Mine has a key damper built into a 12" section and that tames it a bit. I've pretty much gave up on using it very often. My big buddy heater works just as well for heating and I can shut it off and head hunting not having to worry about the stove. I also found that folks tend to use small wood because it's a small stove. I get a small bed of coals going and just put 1 larger piece in at a time. Tends to keep it from taking off on me.