I'm going to sweep my chimney today before our big storm hits. Anyone care to baby step me through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now, Kathleen, you JUST made your midnight curfew (central time zone, that is)!

Good to hear you are safe, sound and back on terra firma!

Thanks for the late night checkin Kath. We were worried about that slippery slope you were ascending. Tell us more about what you found and how much wood it took to get there.

I only remember Lassie's "The girl is in the old well." bark. How is the roof one different? :D

Glad you're safe.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
How is the roof one different?

Pretty much sounded and looked the same only the dog is b+w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9qlZ58m86g

BeGreen said:
Tell us more about what you found and how much wood it took to get there.
5 cups of creosote, plus probably another cup of flakey stuff on top of the chimney block off plate outside the cap. Cap was pretty scummy too. I've burned Probably 3 cords. Some good stuff. Some marginal. Some not so good.

Other than sub-optimal wood, I think I created a lot of creosote when I was learning how to burn this thing. Closing down the air too early. Now I like to run this stove a bit hot. Also, when I was home for 2 weeks over Christmas it was the first chance I had to monitor the stove and chimney through burn cycles for a bunch of days and get a sense for what it's producing. Since then try to have the stove later in the burn cycle for a more efficient burn when I leave for work or go off to sleepy time.

Status
Not open for further replies.