I'm looking for class A chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2010
Virginia
I've chosen a local stove supplier and installer but he's quoting me $2500 for the chimney pipe. I'm paying $2400 for the stove!
So far I've looked at Woodland Direct and would like suggestions of other on line retailers, especially Hearth.com sponsors, that are recommended.
Also...should I be looking at double or triple wall pipe?

You should look for UL 103-HT rated Class A chimney. Selkirk and Simpson are big makers. The Selkirk is double wall..eg: 6" ID and 1" each side of insulation = 8" OD. Sometimes it's 6"ID +2" +2" = 10" OD.

It's not better...that's what Duratech is...Made by Simpson - UL 103-HT rated Class A chimney. Point here is: don't worry with terms of double wall or triple wall in regards to Class A chimney. "Double wall" refers more to stove (or connector) pipe that travels from stove to the first wall or ceiling penetration. After that penetration - it's all Class A to the rain cap. So, you need either single wall or double wall "stove pipe" from the stove to the wall. After that - think Class A chimney.

I see. Woodland does label their Class A as double wall (Duratech) and Triple wall (Duraplus). Both are UL 103-HT. It says the triple wall stays cooler on outside, therefore hotter on inside = better draft. Will that have practical terms for you? Unless you have a marginal draft situation, I doubt it will matter...but I am guessing here. Maybe someone who has used both will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.