I'm wanting to use corn in US 6039 and need some help/clarification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goode2shoes

Dec 23, 2011
Southern IN
I have only used pellets for the past 2 months and have read wonderful postings regarding using corn and a corn/pellet mixture as fuel.

I have a US 6039 with outside exhaust, NO FAK/OAK, weekly cleaning done (or every 7 bags of pellets whichever comes first).

I have 13 bags of Indeck premium hardwood pellets left and need to purchase more fuel this week to be prepared for the next month's cold weather. I was thinking of using a corn/pellet mix.

First of all, I do NOT have a clinker pot. Do I have to have one?

Do I have to change the fuel settings to have a corn/pellet fuel? I'm sure I would have to adjust the fuel feed ratio but I've read where some people's stoves have a corn setting and a pellet setting in their control board.

Do I use Deer Corn? If not, what kind of corn should I be searching for? I've read where some people buy their corn from farmers, local stands, etc. I would appreciate some clarification.

Do not use deer corn, it has tons of stuff in it that the stove should not burn. Corn creates clinkers a clinker pot is advisable, I don't know if you are burning a mixture exactly how much trouble you'll have with clinkers.

But first do you have the proper vent pipe?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Do not use deer corn, it has tons of stuff in it that the stove should not burn. Corn creates clinkers a clinker pot is advisable, I don't know if you are burning a mixture exactly how much trouble you'll have with clinkers.

Yes, I purchased and installed the Simpson DuraVent Corn Stove Chimney Kit.

What else is involved if I choose to burn a corn/pellet mix?

goode2shoes said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Yes, I purchased and installed the Simpson DuraVent Corn Stove Chimney Kit.

What else is involved if I choose to burn a corn/pellet mix?

I would have to check the manual but suspect you'll have to play a bit with the damper if you are in the mode that requires that for pellets.

That model comes with an agitator for burning corn (breaks up clinkers).

A clinker pot, is a pot that does not utilize the agitator. It just lets the clinker build up.

I would run it with the agitator and save your mojey oj the clinker pot.

As Somkey said, you may need a little more air. But other than that, you could get by using the pellet setting (only 50/50) If you were running 100%, then the program would need changed (faster agitator spin/quicker cycles of spinning to keep clean).

Most other stovrs that burn Corn or Pellets, use no setting changes. I have run 100% corn in my Quad, but because it has no agitator, the clinker slowly grows in size. Burned Hot and turned the Firebox completely white.

But if its just 50/50, no real changes are needed as a lot of non multi fuel stoves have been rated for a 50/50 mix. My 2 pennies...

Corn is much more expensive than pellets though. Especially if you were thinking about Feed corn (big non no). I would just buy more pellets ansld save the mess that will follow. Be cheaper. IMO

Feed corn for cattle is OK, Its just the deer corn you need to stay away from. They add sugar/molasses to it. Bad for the stove.

I have a local farmer that grows corn just for pellet/corn stoves. What he doesn't sell during the heating season he unloads at the coop for the cattle/dairy farmers. But its pretty pricey. Because corn is used for ethanol production, The price hasn't been affordable for the last couple of season. But if pellets sore through the roof again. I'll burn some to ease the pellet pains.

Another popular source is becoming grass pellets. But its very ashy!

do grass pellets burn (safely) in a regular wood pellet stove/vent set up?

and since bamboo is a grass, it it the same/effectively similar as/to the grass pellets you mentioned?

St_Earl said:
do grass pellets burn (safely) in a regular wood pellet stove/vent set up?

and since bamboo is a grass, it it the same/effectively similar as/to the grass pellets you mentioned?

No, field grasses and switchgrass contain too much ash. With an ash content of around 3% its about 6X more ash than a wood pellet. Harman bottom feed desigh, And the multifuel stoves would be needed to handle the massive amount of ash.

Bamboo hasn't been tested as far as I know, But with a more manageable 1% ash content. Should fly with most stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.