Impossible to find a big enough Stove Board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
I'm having a bit of trouble finding a stove board big enough. Surely I'm overlooking something because the most common stove boards (Imperial for example) are all MUCH smaller than I'm calculating is needed for my stove.

My stove (measuring the top surface) measures 27" wide and 32" deep if I count the blower shroud with motor in the back to the tray below the door at the front. Just the stove itself (front door opening to back of actual stove enclosure is about 7" less). The base of the stove that will sit on the hearth pad is also a good deal less than these numbers.

So with I'm getting 8 per side (add 16") = 43" wide
and add 16" in front and 3" in back = 51"

That's much bigger than any I've seen. Any clues where to find such a large stove board / hearth pad? Or maybe am I choosing the wrong references for the stoves footprint?

Last edited:
Your numbers look very similar to the numbers I recall for my stoves, so I don't think you're off base, there.

Seems like these are more expensive than what we can afford right now. My first choice would be something like what Imperial has for under $100. They make one that's bigger but seems like nobody caries it. I think I could get away with 42x42 if I only used the stoves footprint (not the blower etc).

What stove? Can you add it to your signature?

If it only needs ember protection what about making your own?

That may be the way to go since it says "UL Listed non combustible floor protector" (kind of vague but I assume that means ember protection since it mentions no R-value). Here's all my stove says as far as instructions:

"Use a Listed, Non-combustible floor protector extending 8 inches to each side and 16 inches to the front of the fuel door, and 3 inches to the back of the unit"

I'm guessing 1/4" cement board with ceramic tile on top of that. I've done tile before and am not afraid (came out great and has lasted 5 years so far without problems). I wonder if this would pass as 'listed'.

I would use 1/2" Durock Nex Gen cement board for better insulation (R=.39) and rigidity, then tile. That won't be UL listed, it has not been tested. Never having burned in this stove I can't say how well shielded it is on the bottom. Some stoves barely warm the hearth and others really cook it. An ashcan usually helps reduce bottom heat radiation.

Last edited:
That seems like a good plan. There's also Micore 300 at Menards so I considered that as well. But with ember protection only and wanting to keep the flooring thin, I was considering the 1/4" cement board.

1/4" cement board is intended to be used on the floor. 1/2" is for walls, don't ask me why...
If you bed the 1/4" in thinset mortar and then tile it you won't have any issues.

Sorry, I never have used 1/4". In this case there is a notable insulation gain by going 1/2".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.