in floor gas log lighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caddis44

Nov 26, 2014
denver
About 17 years ago we built a masonry fireplace and installed a log lighter that was built in to the floor of the firebox, flush with the firebrick. Much nicer than the tube type that sit above the firebrick floor. I can't remember where I got it, and need another one. Anyone have any leads?

I've never seen one recessed in the floor before, but if you are looking to build a fireplace, isn't this just a log lighter pipe that attaches to a gas stub, and then add your firebrick up around to make it flush? Not sure if nfpa 54 has changed and says they need to be above floor level? Maybe being recessed, they had problems with debris and plugging up?

Do you have a picture of it? I've never seen one that's recessed. They are hard as hell to remove after years of use, I'm curious how yours is installed.

Do you have a picture of it? I've never seen one that's recessed. They are hard as hell to remove after years of use, I'm curious how yours is installed.
Here is a picture. As you can see, it sits flush with the floor of the firebox. After 15 years of use, it is still pristine -- not chewed up like my other tube type lighters.

Attachments

• log lighter.jpg
    log lighter.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 322
It just looks like a standard old iron lighter, just sitting down between the bricks. Every hearth shop should have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.