In-line duct fan for fresh air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are you talking in-line fan for like a fresh air intake system? I myself wouldn’t unless you have a way to regulate the amount of air it pushes through otherwise it’ll be kinda like running a draft fan non stop and pushing the heat out the exhaust\chimney. If you’re getting cold air from outside and that air is colder than pellet stove location it creates it own draft nicely almost eliminating the need for a draft fan or any forced air altogether. I could be way off but that just my take on it. Good luck!!

By pushing air into the firebox you would be defeating the
safety protocols of the manufacturer.
Changing from a neg draft stove to a pos draft stove
Pushing smoke out of every imperfect seal including the hopper
Possibly even a hopper Fire

The combustion fan does this already and as mentioned above it’s engineered for the stove’s optimum output. Increasing the combustion air would make it burn hotter….possibly burning down the space the pellet stove is heating ;)

Reactions: Ssyko
You are new, so,welcome, and here is a bit of history. Pellet stoves were "originally" fan forced, instead of "draw through". After many thousands of "smoke in the house", and "house fires", it was realized it was a really bad idea.

Reactions: Washed-Up
If you want to increase the air flow I would go the route of increasing the speed of the combustion fan to draw more air through rather than try and push air through.

Reactions: Washed-Up