In search of refactory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maasdad

Apr 20, 2021
Greer SC
I am remodeling a recently purchased home and have made my way to the wood burning fireplace. As you can see in the picture the refactory needs to be replaced. I am not able to find the make/model of the prefab insert (I am guessing it is covered by that black facing), so I have been searching for universal panels. Unfortunately in my initial inquiries it seams the universal sizes available are just to small.

The bottom refactory panel is 41 5/8" wide (front) x 28" wide (back) x 22 1/14" (deep). The dimension causing a problem here is the 41 5/8"
The back is 26 5/8" wide x 25" tall. The dimension causing a problem here is the 25".
The sides are 23" x 25" tall.

Is anyone aware of suppliers making universal sizes that I can cut these from?

Considering the prices of the refactory I have seen online, I can see it approaching the price of a new fireplace. I guess the big difference would be the cost to pull out the existing fireplace and install a new one. Is this typically a straight forward operation for a contractor or does it get pretty involved. I already plan to remove the facing, hearth, & mantle and apply a stone veneer.

I do appreciate your thoughts.

p.s. I won't be back to the home until this weekend if additional pictures/measurements are needed.

Fireplace.jpg

Edit: Per bholler's post below, what I have posted here is a bad idea! They make the castable stuff, but it is not a good option for this application.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know anything about prefab fireplaces, but if all it is is a refractory panel that you need to be a specific size, you can cast your own... Just like casting a big 'ol firebrick.

However, if it has some specific R value or something because it is a prefab fireplace with required clearances, I can't tell you if the castable refractory is a good solution for you .

Last edited:
I am remodeling a recently purchased home and have made my way to the wood burning fireplace. As you can see in the picture the refactory needs to be replaced. I am not able to find the make/model of the prefab insert (I am guessing it is covered by that black facing), so I have been searching for universal panels. Unfortunately in my initial inquiries it seams the universal sizes available are just to small.

The bottom refactory panel is 41 5/8" wide (front) x 28" wide (back) x 22 1/14" (deep). The dimension causing a problem here is the 41 5/8"
The back is 26 5/8" wide x 25" tall. The dimension causing a problem here is the 25".
The sides are 23" x 25" tall.

Is anyone aware of suppliers making universal sizes that I can cut these from?

Considering the prices of the refactory I have seen online, I can see it approaching the price of a new fireplace. I guess the big difference would be the cost to pull out the existing fireplace and install a new one. Is this typically a straight forward operation for a contractor or does it get pretty involved. I already plan to remove the facing, hearth, & mantle and apply a stone veneer.

I do appreciate your thoughts.

p.s. I won't be back to the home until this weekend if additional pictures/measurements are needed.

View attachment 277974
The first step is to find out what make and model fireplace you have. The tag should be somewhere just inside the front lip. Sometimes inside above the refractory panels. You need to do this because most fireplaces like yours are supposed to have cooling vents and it looks like yours may be covered up making the fireplace very dangerous to use. You also need to get screens and or doors for it and the proper grate. I would also recommend having the fireplace inspected fully by a pro before spending any money on it. These have a pretty short lifespan and it looks like yours has had a hard life.

And no castable us not a viable option for a zero clearance unit.

Wtf. I wonder did the previous owner literally throw logs into that! Looks like major impact damage. I know nothing about prefab fireplaces, is that normal wear and tear?