In the market for a chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the 025 the same as today a 250??? my buddie let me use his 025 and i kinda like it needs some more power but its not bad

Yes I think Stihl went from the "0" series and moved the zero to the right end. 025 became the 250 017 to 170 029 to 290 etc. I would imagine some slight changes were made as well but basicly thats how it went

thats what i thought the 0 just moved to the end now i have something to compare it to

thats what i thought the 0 just moved to the end now i have something to compare it to

so the dealer is telling me to get the 290 because its 100 cheaper and blah blah

is the easy start a nice feature on a chainsaw???? i have a stihl whacker and it has it and its nice but on a chainsaw????

im still looking for a saw and might be also looking at getting a better saw but used still i donno

also whats weird is pricing

the ms270 with a 18" bar is 450 50cc 11.7lbs
the ms311 with a 18" bar is 475 59cc 14.1
the ms290 with a 18" bar is 370 56cc 13lbs

the ms311 looks nice has the decomp valve and all that but has a lot of weight

so here i am back to square .5

Mroverkill said:
also whats weird is pricing

the ms270 with a 18" bar is 450 50cc 11.7lbs
the ms311 with a 18" bar is 475 59cc 14.1
the ms290 with a 18" bar is 370 56cc 13lbs

the ms311 looks nice has the decomp valve and all that but has a lot of weight

so here i am back to square .5

The 270 is an anti-vibe mode Thats what your paying for. The 311 and 290 are inline with cc's dont let weight become the main focus I have a saw Thats over 20lbs power head only.

ok so the anti vibe is where the cost is and i was told to try to get one with that feature because its "that good" well the 311 has antivibe and a few other features which is why im stumped the 311 is 9ccs bigger and has more features dam this is tough

Mroverkill said:
ok so the anti vibe is where the cost is and i was told to try to get one with that feature because its "that good" well the 311 has antivibe and a few other features which is why im stumped the 311 is 9ccs bigger and has more features dam this is tough

I think that 270 anti-vibe is much better than what you will find on the 311....With that said its all going to come down to chains and how well you can maintain them. I can make a 122cc saw cut with very little vibration. I would not over think the saw to much other than horse power. The rest can be made up in other ways if necessary.

Mroverkill said:

I got the 311. I like the antivibe. It vibrates less than my 30cc saw. I like the easy start feature too. It pulls easier than my 30cc saw.

I like the weight. I can set it, running, on top of a 12 inch round, and gravity will pull the saw right through it. Obviously you have to maintain a grip on the saw, but it doesn't take any effort at all to make the cut. Just lift it after the cut and put it back down to make the next one.

It cost a bit more, but if it lasts 20 years the cost per year is nothing.

I sharpened the blade for the first time yesterday. Hit a piece of wire buried in a tree. Don't you hate that?

pyper said:
Mroverkill said:

I got the 311. I like the antivibe. It vibrates less than my 30cc saw. I like the easy start feature too. It pulls easier than my 30cc saw.

I like the weight. I can set it, running, on top of a 12 inch round, and gravity will pull the saw right through it. Obviously you have to maintain a grip on the saw, but it doesn't take any effort at all to make the cut. Just lift it after the cut and put it back down to make the next one.

It cost a bit more, but if it lasts 20 years the cost per year is nothing.

I sharpened the blade for the first time yesterday. Hit a piece of wire buried in a tree. Don't you hate that?

Funny the only time I have hit somthing took the top of a cutter clean off....Knock on wood I dont hit anyting. I have a very good eye when it comes to metal so far...

well finally went to the dealer and looked at them the 270 is nice it feels good the 311 is "much more heavy" so its still a toss up. I found a brand new 311 with shipping for 375 so im really thinking about it

or the 270 18" with a case and the stihl helmet system (hard style) and a extra full chisel chain for 520 new out the door

Mroverkill said:
well finally went to the dealer and looked at them the 270 is nice it feels good the 311 is "much more heavy" so its still a toss up. I found a brand new 311 with shipping for 375 so im really thinking about it

or the 270 18" with a case and the stihl helmet system (hard style) and a extra full chisel chain for 520 new out the door

Sounds like your dialed in!

I just bought a used 270 and its real smooth for sure. But $375 for a 311 new would be tough to pass up. I dont think I would go $520 for the new 270.

Dont forget to look at the used market if youre into that. I got my 270, 16" and 18" bar, case, for $150.00

smokinjay said:
Funny the only time I have hit somthing took the top of a cutter clean off....Knock on wood I dont hit anyting. I have a very good eye when it comes to metal so far...

This is a piece of steel wire inside the tree. I guess it used to be a clothes line or something. At some point it was cut, and then the tree grew over the cut off end, so it was completely burried inside the tree. I had the branch cut most of the way through, so I thought I could break it off with a wedge, and now my wedge is stuck in the tree, so I brought an axe! I guess it's something to be wary of in the bottom 8 feet of trees near houses. Especially big, old trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.