Incase of cat overfire, what's the correct procedure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
It says in the manual that by turning the t stat down to low effectively closing the air inlet, you may produce more smoke, giving the cat more juice, thus heat. Seems opposite. Turn it down, and it gets hotter, lol. Anyways, I was just wondering what how to cool it down correctly if this happens. Simply open the bypass, or turn it to high, opening the air inlet, and letting the fire get bigger, consuming the smoke on its own? It says not to adjust it too fast, going a notch or two every 15 to 20 min, but I don't think I want to wait around an hour before I get the thing fully open to get rid of some of the smoke that's causing the cat to over fire.

If it's a BK risk of overfire is very small do to the T-stat. I run mine, as others here have, with the thermostat at max position and don't see over 750*F stove top.

The last thing you would want to do though, is open the bypass. It can warp under excess heat causing major repair damage.

On the other hand, turning down the stove with a new cat installed will usually result in fairly high (600ish range) temps just above the cat. Remember that those temps are limited to the area around the cat and the rest of the stove will be much cooler.

OK, but running it wide open doesn't create extra smoke. I'm talking when you turn it down for long as possible burn times like when going to work, or bed at night. That's when it may start smoldering more, and possibly feeding the cat too much smoke, causing it to over fire. This is how I understand it from what the manual says. Bk princess insert.

I edited my prior post but maybe to late. From my experience and the posts I have read concerning this matter, there is very little danger of overfire running the stove on a low setting.

Yes, a new cat will eat the smoke from the smoldering fire and run hot for hours but not "overfire" hot. In time, the cat will settle in and you will learn how to coralate your thermostat setting with a desired stove temp.

You are worrying about nothing. Do not be concerned with cat temps. There is a reason that there are no numbers on the cat temp gauge, you only need that gauge to determine when to engage the cat. After that you set the thermostat to desired output and forget about it.

The stove is engineered to not melt itself. Let it work.

Reactions: jeff_t
It can be alarming how much heat comes off the cat when it is cruising well. I had a surface gauge over the cat that was pegging max temperature. An infrared gun and eventually cat probe proved everything was ok. Running the stove starved for air can cause back puffing as well. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Status
Not open for further replies.