Indiana weather not good for seasoning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
I am thinking all this weird weather , not really getting hot for any extended period of time wont be all the good on getting my wood seasoned. I cut alot of wood that was already dead for a while so that might save me.

I am thinking all this weird weather , not really getting hot for any extended period of time wont be all the good on getting my wood seasoned. I cut alot of wood that was already dead for a while so that might save me.
It's certainly not as good as last year was! _g But as Tim said, we still have heat. The Silver Maple I stacked a few months back still feels a bit heavy but there are a couple good drying months left and I think it'll be ready....maybe not at the beginning of October, but at some point before the dead of winter. I've stacked some dead White Ash recently, and it seems to be drying pretty quickly....

Wind is your friend Huntindog;)

Lots of rain so far this summer, and the skeeters are getting thick which is unusual here. I don't remember them ever being this bad. They're little ones so I guess they are just hatching? Usually, I can sit outside at night and there are only a couple of them around. We need more dry 90s weather to beat these buggers back! :mad:

Not looking too good for this week. I guess I will try to figure out this saw chain grinder I was given, get the Dutchwest ready for a trial out on the hearth instead of back in the fireplace like it was last time we used it, and work on some weatherizing.

Forecast.JPG

Your wood will be plenty seasoned, it just may not be dry.

Reactions: Jon1270
Your wood will be plenty seasoned, it just may not be dry.
In the past, I have found that when my wood is seasoned plenty, it is dry enough. ==c

Minimum daily humidity predictions for the next week are 60% or more. ;sick

I was thinking, when its really hot its usually really humid in Indiana.

So the lower temps have been bringing lower humidity levels so it may all even out in the end.

you guys are confusing me

Reactions: Woody Stover
There is no such thing as seasoned wood. There wood that is dry, and wood that isn't.

Reactions: swagler85
Dew point is 73* here today. My wood is probably taking on moisture...not losing it.

I was thinking, when its really hot its usually really humid in Indiana.

So the lower temps have been bringing lower humidity levels so it may all even out in the end.

Humidity is relative to the temperature...dew point is a more accurate measure of absolute moisture in the air.

Lots of rain so far this summer, and the skeeters are getting thick which is unusual here. I don't remember them ever being this bad. They're little ones so I guess they are just hatching? Usually, I can sit outside at night and there are only a couple of them around. We need more dry 90s weather to beat these buggers back! :mad:

What you need is time. Once they are hatched, they will be around for a couple weeks no matter the temperature. Something like a life cycle...

Hopefully Sept. & Oct. will be dry and breezy like they are some years to catch up on moisture removal.

There is no such thing as seasoned wood. There wood that is dry, and wood that isn't.

This is what I use on mine....but only after it is dry.

Attachments

• seasoning.jpg
    seasoning.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 85
  • seasoning #2.jpg
    seasoning #2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Humidity is relative to the temperature...dew point is a more accurate measure of absolute moisture in the air.
They also say that dewpoint is a better indicator of how uncomfortable it feels. I've never understood why that should be. Relative humidity is a percentage of how much moisture is in the air, relative to what the air at that temp can hold (100%.) I know that if it's 92 out and the relative humidity is 55%, it's going to feel hot. If the humidity is 40%, the air can hold a lot more moisture and the sweat should evaporate more quickly, I think. I know that 40% at 92 doesn't feel bad at all. Last summer, I would look at the weather stats and it would be 100 with 20% humidity. Almost unheard of here. It didn't feel bad at all (in the shade.) :) The soft Maple I stacked a few months ago still feels heavy. It'll be interesting to see what the next couple of months will do in drying this wood, in this wetter-than-normal year.

This is what I use on mine....but only after it is dry.
The wood mongers just use a little salt so they can call their wood "seasoned." It's cheaper. ==c

Reactions: Locust Post
They also say that dewpoint is a better indicator of how uncomfortable it feels. I've never understood why that should be. Relative humidity is a percentage of how much moisture is in the air, relative to what the air at that temp can hold (100%.) I know that if it's 92 out and the relative humidity is 55%, it's going to feel hot. If the humidity is 40%, the air can hold a lot more moisture and the sweat should evaporate more quickly, I think. I know that 40% at 92 doesn't feel bad at all. Last summer, I would look at the weather stats and it would be 100 with 20% humidity. Almost unheard of here. It didn't feel bad at all (in the shade.) :) The soft Maple I stacked a few months ago still feels heavy. It'll be interesting to see what the next couple of months will do in drying this wood, in this wetter-than-normal year.

Most definitely the dew point will tell you how it will be feeling. Once it gets to 70, it is very uncomfortable for sure. I like it better in the 50's. Speaking of that, our present temperature is 72, humidity is 47% and the dew point is 50. Feels great!

The wood mongers just use a little salt so they can call their wood "seasoned." It's cheaper. ==c
Salt isn't a seasoning, it's a flavor enhancer.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Status
Not open for further replies.