Inexpensive hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What’s an inexpensive hearth pad out there (or can be built) with r=1.0?
I only need this for two seasons.
Just stack cement board to meet the required r value I usually top that off with a sheet of galvanized

My local multibrand stove dealer said I could not use a carpet, anything mobile, as part of the hearth to make clearances. I dunno if that is state or federal, though it does make common sense. Cement board with a few screws outside the minimums with something cosmetic on it should check all the boxes indeed.

My local multibrand stove dealer said I could not use a carpet, anything mobile, as part of the hearth to make clearances. I dunno if that is state or federal, though it does make common sense. Cement board with a few screws outside the minimums with something cosmetic on it should check all the boxes indeed.
A carpet is absolutely not acceptable even just for ember protection. But a hearth pad that isn't attached is perfectly fine. The stove is sitting on it so it's not going anywhere

The stove may not be sitting on it if it's used as a hearth extension.

The stove may not be sitting on it if it's used as a hearth extension.
True I was just going by the op saying hearth pad not extension. Then if it is a hearth extension for a fireplace you have the issue of if it is permanent it needs to meet code for a fireplace.

There are allot of factors

I'm thinking with the R requirement of 1.0 that this is meant to be under the stove. Lots of portable premanufactured stove "boards" or little off the shelf hearth pads exist for this but they aren't terribly cheap.

A hearth pad extension is a different animal.

Reactions: bholler
I only need the hearth pad for the floor
For the walls I’m going to go a corrugated metal wall like this

I only need the hearth pad for the floor
For the walls I’m going to go a corrugated metal wall like this

What stove is it for?

Of course it does..clancey
To tell you the truth it has that industrial look about it and I kind of like it and I would extend that metal on the whole wall and put spacers in it for air circulation behind with keeping in minds all the safety codes and clearances. Now for the hearth pad I would just have a stone floor or just put some concrete in that area of the floor--I like the raising of the stove for easier loading as well and also some protection against flood if that is in your area. I like it..clancey

Last edited:
Of course it does..clancey
To tell you the truth it has that industrial look about it and I kind of like it and I would extend that metal on the whole wall and put spacers in it for air circulation behind with keeping in minds all the safety codes and clearances. Now for the hearth pad I would just have a stone floor or just put some concrete in that area of the floor--I like the raising of the stove for easier loading as well and also some protection against flood if that is in your area. I like it..clancey

This is a hunting cabin so wife approved not necessary. The plan was to have the corrugated tin panels go up the wall with ceramic spacers.
And now seems like I will simply lay enough durarock on the floor with a sheet of 22ga stainless steel (which I already have) on top of that to protect from embers and ease clean up.

I have another month or two before I can fire my stove up (it’s still mid 90s here) so I have time.